JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like this winch and I love the idea that its pretty light weight. But its a comp winch with a short drum and spools 50' of rope. Think that would be enough? Thoughts please.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
You could probably save the 30 lbs that this Comp winch saves in other ways, namely the front bumper to which it's attached. That being said, if this was THE winch I'd get a winch extension strap, like the one from ARB.

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
I've needed to pull myself well over 50' on a single line pull before. However an extension could pretty much solve that.

It's probably a very nice winch, but Its pretty overkill in my opinion (coming from someone with a 12,000lb on a two door lol) more so price wise than anything. Unless you plan on just torturing the thing day in and out I'd say a lesser winch that have done many here just fine maybe spend a few bucks elsewhere. Unless you are dying to be "different"!

Sent via paper airplane

·
Registered
590 Posts
I looked long and hard at purchasing this winch for several reasons:
1. Warn
2. Light weight
3. Synthetic line (on a warn)
4. Size

I chose not to purchase for several reasons,
1. the biggest was the limited line capacity. When it comes down to it, the 54' of line is reduced quite a bit. Sure you can extend but will that work in all scenarios. I looked into other Warn options and changing to synthetic line as well

2. weight savings: is it that big? If I recall the winch/line weight was in the mid-50s lbs. The Smitty XRC 10 comp (which I purchased) weighs in at 60 lbs with 94' of synthetic line

3. Size didn't end up mattering: My bumper has a drop in winch mount therefore the size wasn't a concern as long as it fit in the hole. The hole takes up the same foot print on the bumper so nothing was gained or lost

4. Cost: This is a high price winch with limited capacity. It cost 3x the price of my Smitty. Granted folks will argue you can't compare the two companies. Maybe that is so, but it met my needs. I could have a spare in the back with a lot of $$ to spare.

Granted you can't put a price on the quality when it comes to safety and reliability if your life depends on it. For my needed, the Smitty far exceeds the needs and has 1k more pulling ability.

I hope the info helps. Ideally Warn would come out with a light weight/synthetic alternative with a comparable capacity and a competitive price point as well.

Just my humble opinion.
Steve

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
depends on where and who you wheel with. would i run it? not a chance. ive had to winch myself up a mountain before and would not want to do it with 50' of rope. also most mud holes around here if you get stuck in them are either big enough to need all the line to get to someone or a tree. or deep enough to need a double line pull. then you only have 25'

if i always wheeled in a park or with a group of guys that were equally equipped i might consider it.

also are you gonna have a custom bumper made for it? point #3 from mickbee

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
I like this winch alot.

I always go wheeling with others so there is always an anchor point not far away plus you can always carry extra straps as others have said.

If this was only a little less expensive :bawling:

·
Vendor
1,074 Posts
All good input above. I would add that I am considering a similar winch (the Superwinch) for my two-door, which I just use for recreation, and would be using the winch in short, close trails on rocks or other rigs for anchor. A winch extension is perfect for the few times when I might need longer. On the other hand, my 4-door is more expedition style--I am frequently out by myself, and also use her for recovering many other types of vehicles, therefore, she has a heavier-rated winch and longer line. So, what will you be doing with YOUR Jeep?

·
Registered
10,317 Posts
I had to pull line a few weeks ago, in a heavily wooded area, and even with 100' of rope I was down to the last spool on the drum to get it to a suitable tree.

I like the idea but after that I'm sticking with my full size rope with synth

·
Registered
189 Posts
A buddy of mine has one of those, and I've had to run my 100' of line to his hook just to gey him up the hill a few times. It's a fast/strong and consistant pull on the line, but you will definitely want the length more often than not.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

·
ADDICTION II build begins....
3,833 Posts
A buddy of mine has one of those, and I've had to run my 100' of line to his hook just to gey him up the hill a few times. It's a fast/strong and consistant pull on the line, but you will definitely want the length more often than not.
agreed....will definitely want longer! :D

·
Registered
436 Posts
I had to pull line a few weeks ago, in a heavily wooded area, and even with 100' of rope I was down to the last spool on the drum to get it to a suitable tree.

I like the idea but after that I'm sticking with my full size rope with synth
I've been in this situation multiple times. I would hate only having 50' of line on my drum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The biggest limitation to this winch is, as most have pointed out, the 50' of line. We designed this winch for rock crawling competition, which doesn't typically require lots of rope. It's a good winch, but is really aimed at competition vehicles.

- Andy

·
Registered
414 Posts
Just a small reminder here. A winches rating is for a certain wrap on the drum and with each wrap the rating goes down. With such a small drum and short line I'd have to wonder what the levels for each wrap are. I would imagine that the rating on this winch drops pretty fast with each wrap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts