JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven’t had a jeep in years. But now I am targeting late summer to purchase a JKU. I feel prices may ease a bit in August or September on a left over 2011 plus the new Wranglers will be just about out then.

My heart was originally set on a Rubicon. But since I will be losing my job (I can retire but my salary will be reduced) it seems they are just too expensive. Even used ones are high.

So now I am thinking of an X and working from there. My stock Durango now gets me where I want to go...pretty much. Mostly wood/logging roads. Some are pretty steep. Some rocks (but not a challenging Rubicon trail), some mud and I will be taking it on the beach which will be a new type of wheeling for me.

Will the X be ok for my use considering it will have limited slip and BLD? I would add 35s for more differential clearance but would not need much additional body clearance. I would also regear. May get an auto. May get a manual. Not sure yet.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I am on my second sport or X model and have been very happy with my Jeep. I do have some mods that make it more capable but really can do a lot with just a few mods. Look in my signature of my build and trail pics. If you think you need more than what I do on the trails please send me pics of your build. :D You will be very happy with the base model just how different the new Jeeps are to drive.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, Copperhead. I read your mod list in the past (took me two days :D) I don't think my wheeling would be that agressive. Lockers would be nice and since I would def regear that would be the time to do it, I guess.

What's the feeling on installing one locker...and which axle would be the best one to lock? Assuming stock X axles 30/44.

·
Registered
436 Posts
You'll be fine with an X.

It is super easy and cheap to throw an aussie in the front 30 and it works really well but I'm not real big on locking the d30 on a big heavy unlimited. If you are getting an unlimited though I would seriously consider a detroit in the rear (if it is an automatic). With an automatic+the wheelbase of the JKU the detroit will be very tame once you get used to it.

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
I think you'll be pleasantly suprised at what your bone stock JKU gets you through. I bought a Sahara in 09 and wheeled it a few times over in The Pines. Only things I've added were some lights - mainly cause they're cool and they were free - a 2.5" coil lift and some slightly bigger tires - I went from 255/70/R18 to 275/70R18. Not really a huge amount of modification, but it has done everything I've asked so far. I wheel like a soccer mom and have yet to find myself stuck.

That being said, I will be doing a snorkel at some point just because I've tempted fate one too many times in the pines to keep getting away with it.

One thing that jumps out at me is the fact you'll be hitting the beach. Might want to consider doing a POR15 treatment on the underbody to keep it nice and rust free.

just my .02

Good luck on your purchase.:beer:

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm not clear on what I would need to get "used to"!
If you are on the throttle and turning sharp enough the locker can cause a tire to chirp or ratchet real loud ime. As long as you stay off the throttle during sharp turns though it is pretty much not noticeable.

I understand with a manual it is a little different.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I've got an X and it handles just fine. Besides you can mod an X to be better than a Rubicon for less than Rubicon retail price, if you don't mind putting in the work yourself.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah...it's looking like an X for me. Mod it a bit at a time.

I appreciate all the feedback.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I've had 3 vehicles with an auto locker in the rear diff and it's no big deal to get used too.At least it wasn't for me.The limited slip isn't too bad either.Not as good as a locker but I've never had a problem with one either.I don't like air or electric lockers in the rear dif at all.JMHO :smokin:

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
I have an 07 X and I never have regretted it. The next gen dana 30 in our JKs is actually quite a bit stronger than many give it credit for. Paired with the 3.8L rocket-ship engine we have in the JKs, it works well. I have also modded my X a bit and I never would have been able to do the mods if I had spent all the money in buying a rubi. Although the dana 44, factory lockers, and 4:1 transfer case in the rubi are nice, the X/Sport is where the deals can be had.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think the Sport is the way to go. I had the same dilemma last year and went with the 2010 Rubi, but for going to the Pines and driving on the beach I couldve just got a Sport. Got the Unlimited, (traded in pickup) and bought a trailer. Kinda wish now I just wouldve gotten a 2 dr Sport and a beater pickup truck. Looked at the 2011s today for the first time, found one open on the dealer lot - tempting. I know Id take it on the chin though.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sport or X all the way for what you are looking for. Only concern I would have would be an auto with 35"s and 3.73 ratio. Others will state the same and some have been running it forever. Just depends on your perspective. Either way, enjoy the Jeep!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sport or X all the way for what you are looking for. Only concern I would have would be an auto with 35"s and 3.73 ratio. Others will state the same and some have been running it forever. Just depends on your perspective. Either way, enjoy the Jeep!

I don't think they even come with 3.73s stock...just the 3.21s.

My first move would be to regear anyway.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I think you'll be pleasantly suprised at what your bone stock JKU gets you through. I wheel like a soccer mom and have yet to find myself stuck.

just my .02

Good luck on your purchase.:beer:
:laughing2::laughing2::laughing2::laughing2:

·
Registered
436 Posts

Man I lucked out when I got my 2-door it came with 4.10 gears in the rear. I still couldn't use overdrive on the highway though so I put 5.13s in.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts

My Sport Unlimited came with auto and 3:73s

Man I lucked out when I got my 2-door it came with 4.10 gears in the rear. I still couldn't use overdrive on the highway though so I put 5.13s in.
2007? I hope you got 4:10s in the front too! :thefinger:

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Get the X and don't look back.

I debated for a while before I bought my X. But ultimately decided that I could put the difference in price to better use.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts