JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Meant to post this a couple of weeks ago. Or maybe did and forgot. Posted elsewhere.

Had the lovely experience of completing my balljoint replacements.

I had done yhe passenger side a couple weeks ago. As they were necessary for a state inspection. As always with a. Few year old Jeep in NE and a ton of miles. Things didn't go as easily as hoped-for. Originally, planned on completing both sides that day. Mind you, I just planned on balljoints. My mistake.

Upon preping both sides by jacking up and removing the brakes. I decided thankfully to complete the passenger side first. As mentioned necessary due to being worn out. Now, I can't complain as the mileage I got out of stockers well exceeded that of most.

Let the job go sideways. Attempting to remove the first bolt off of the still fully functional hub with no signs of wear, it stripped. That's using ac12point socket that was tapped on. At least I had some special sockets that were successful in this bolts removal. The next two bolts, as there's three. I was able to use the standard socket. After some tapping on with a hammer. Guess what! Both snapped near the heads. Now, I know some of you are thinking, it's OK there long bolts with shanks and the threads are on the outs side on the spindle in the hub. Reminder, ton of New Endland driven miles. So lots of PB Blaster, heat, banging and prying finally prevailed. Thankful that the axle shaft pulled easily. I'd have replaced those, but have other plans for later. Just want to be inspectable for now.

So, anyway need a new hub or two. A trip to the local parts store that only had one of any one level of hub. I opted for the best and a set of bolts. Guess drivers side will wait. As I believe in matching opposing parts.

Not the hardest part as of yet. I get the spindle out without much ado. Break out the balljoint tool and tackle the upper balljoint. A little resistance and Kap piw out it came. I feeling pretty good for a moment. Recall my mention of New Englad miles on this jeep! Well the lower balljoint was a PITA. It was as if it had been welded in. No balljoint tool was gonna remove this one. Yes, I tried applying heat, too!

Out comes the angle grinder, drill and Dremel. Getting the ball out. Making relief holes and cuts to relieve pressure. After numerous cuts, holes and some hammering and chiseling. It finally came out. Time consuming. Thankfully, the new ones went back in without to much difficulty. I forgot to mention, got grease-able jounts. The lowers are side angled zerks.. So, I had to grind a little divot in the rear of the spindle to alow for the grease gun access. A few hour job gone way too long..

Oh, Jeep got its mandatory state inspection.

In preparation for the drivers side, I ordered another hub and bolts. Waited for them to be delivered. What I forget to mention, as someone may inquire. I did soak both sides prior with PB. Well the drivers side Thankfully came apartment easier.

Except for the dreaded lower balljoint. Again, cut, drill, hammervand chisel. Followed by balljoint tool. I had a little bit of an easier time. I had more trouble reinstalling the short axle shaft. Wow, the crud built up there that I cleaned out. Another project for another day.

Well at least balljoints and spindles are done. I just need to remind myself that, I need to grease the balljoints periodically.

Wow, a hot shower was welcome after that.

Good day all.




Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
 

· Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Not that it helps now, but what I like to do is attach the balljoint press and put load on the BJ. Then hit the C with a MAP or OA torch. Propane is just not hot enough. It will either slide out on its own or you can hit it with a gun or breaker bar and get it to release.
Yup. I had MAP gas. Wasn't effective, unfortunately. Wished I had OA. I still won in the end.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top