JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife and I were talking about what to do with our week off in July and she says, "Why don't we take the jeep to Ouray?" I fell in love all over again.

I just got my 4 dr Rubi in February. All I've done is buy half doors, a hi-lift jack, and new windshield wipers. What can I do and not do at Ouray and the surrounding area? I'm a novice to off-roading, and I'm not looking for any serious rock crawling. We'll have our two boys, ages 5 and 8. We love to camp, so hopefully we can do some of that out on the trails.

Do I need to do anything to my stock Rubi, or will it be fine on the lighter trails?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Where is Ouray, and what does it have to offer? Stock Rubi's are very capable, with some driving skills you can do alot more than you'd think.:smokin:
Oops, didn't catch the link above.

·
Registered
258 Posts
To be honest, Ouray is mostly great scenery and ledge roads. There are a few difficult trails, but mostly it is the scenery people go for. A Rubi should have no problems.

·
Vendor
1,074 Posts
There is no trail in the San Juans that an experienced driver in a stock Rubi couldn't do. That said, we usually recommend that novice to intermediate drivers avoid: Poughkeepsie Gulch, due to a higher chance of damaging the Jeep; Black Bear Pass, due to the extremely intimidating shelf road with excrutiating switchbacks where a mistake can be deadly.

Stop by the Riverside Inn (aka Farabee Jeep Rentals) on the north end of town--they can give you info on trails and conditions.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
The first off road trail I ever wheeled was Black Bear in my Sahara Unlimited. Definitely doable as a novice in a stock JK. Poughkeepsie is the one to avoid if you don't have much time in off road. Although if you have some experienced folk to trail with, I think I'd try it. It's the prettiest trail around. And that's saying a lot. The whole area is so worth the visit.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Stock Rubi in Ouray

I've wheeled in Ouray in my TJ Wrangler, and my JK Rubicon. No problems with either vehicle. We went with a sponsored Jeep group through Imogene Pass. The leader of the group said this trail was rated a "4". I told him in AZ this trail would probably be rated a 2.5-3. I think they sometimes exaggerate the difficulty of the trail to lend a little more excitement to it for the tourists.
I wheel in Arizona where trails are rated 2-4.5. Sometimes trails are rated a
"5", and you are told upfront you will do damage to your vehicle. I stay with 3-3.5 trails, ocassionally I'll do a "4" trail and usually take a few hits underneath.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've wheeled in Ouray in my TJ Wrangler, and my JK Rubicon. No problems with either vehicle. We went with a sponsored Jeep group through Imogene Pass. The leader of the group said this trail was rated a "4".
For that area maybe it is a 4. But when considering the entire state of Colorado it is more of a 4/10!

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts