JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a new bumper. Have narrowed it down to Poison Spyder Brawler MID. Does anyone dealt with Poison Spyder products before. If so, would you recommend, and did you powder coat or paint?

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Good stuff but make sure you receive all the hardware with your order.

I would recommend PSC, but there are also some other really nice looking bumpers out there these days ( Crawler Conceptz, Shrockworks, JCR, GenRight, etc, etc). Go with a quality manufacturer if you have the funds. Less reputable companies don't necessarily spell disaster but it seems to be more of a crap-shoot as to quality-control. The cheaper stuff seems to lack consistent quality so you may get a good one... you may not.

I powder-coated my PSC front Trail Stinger but I would probably opt to prep and spray with rattle can if I were to do it over. If your going to spend most time on road then powder coat will look nice and wear well, but if you're going to put that Jeep out on the trails a lot, then painting with a good quality Krylon or Rustoleum might be your best bet.

Powder coat is hard to touch up and match, so after a lot of scrapes and rock chips, it's going to look a little rough. With spray paint you can continue to easily and cheaply restore the chipped, scraped, worn-out finish.

Just make sure to take the time to prep well... which will take a combination of sanding ( possibly), cleaning ( with denatured alcohol), and priming with a self-etching primer. Then spray with light even coats of your preference... gloss, flat, or satin finish until you achieve a nice uniformed finish.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I have most of their stuff... :laughing:

- Quality is great and everything has always went together smoothly.

- I think it took longer to paint the stuff than it did to put it all on.
I used Rustoleum self etching primer and Rustoleum Satin Black and it's held up great over the years.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Nope...never heard of Poison Spyder! :eek:

I run pretty much only PSC because I like their quality. Always consistent and holds up well. Little self-etching Primer and some Rustoleum brush-on bed liner and you're set. Scratches/chips? No worries. Break out the brush, touch it up, and done.

There are many other great manufacturers, too, though. Had Shrockworks rear bumper w/ tire carrier and sliders on both a 2008 and a 2010 Xterra and loved them! Great build quality. At the time, though, they were very slow to produce. Waited about 3-4 months on the rear bumper and carrier and probably 2 on the sliders. Had those powdercoated and it held up well, but I never wheeled either of those, either. Currently considering the PSC BFH front bumper w/ trail stinger, but like the LOD, too. Can't really go wrong with one of the bigger names out there. Just find one ya' like and have at it. PSC comes very highly recommended, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts