JKOwners Forum banner
121 - 140 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Whatever! I just shoot the damn things. As long as the bullet is big enough to stop the person coming toward me in one shot, I'm all set.
One shot one kill is a fallacy. It's all about shot placement and how well you call follow up. I've seen body cam videos of LEO's doing full ammo dumps on someone high on some crazy drug and the guy keeps coming.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,535 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
One shot one kill is a fallacy. It's all about shot placement and how well you call follow up. I've seen body cam videos of LEO's doing full ammo dumps on someone high on some crazy drug and the guy keeps coming.

If there was ever such a thing as a "one shot stop", I'm pretty sure a 45mm would be it. ;)

·
Registered
521 Posts

You are right, but people need to understand why. If you are going to carry a weapon for defense, its not enough to know point and shoot technique. People need to know the "why" so they can be more effective.

Technically, there are lots of instances where one shot has killed someone. The problem is, you want instant... not 3 weeks from now because the target got a staph infection.

Body shots are intended to cause rapid blood loss to render the target unconscious. The fastest way to do that is to sever the Aorta. If we were to cut the Aorta with a knife, all dirty, unoxygenated blood is left in the body, while the heart pumps good blood into the body cavity. This typically takes about 4-4.5 seconds to render the target immobile due to blood loss.

The closest body shot to a "one shot, one kill" is a round that will severs the Aorta. This is why we are taught to aim for center mass. If a round severs the Aorta, the target is taken down quickly. If you miss, with follow-up shots, you can hit enough vital origins to stop someone fairly quickly.

The problem is, most people who are stopped with one or two bullets to the body are stopped because of psychological affects of being shot, not physical. So, if someone isn't mentally shocked into stopping, and you are lucky enough to sever the Aorta, that mo fo still has 4.5 seconds to kill you before he dies. If you don't hit the Aorta, then you have even longer before the target goes down. I have seen video of a guy with seven shots to the body have a fist fight with a LEO he disarmed that lasted almost 3 minutes before he finally passed out.

That leads me to my next gem... Instant Off. There is only one "one shot, one kill" location that I know of where the target is killed instantly. So dead in fact, that the brain is completely disconnected from the body and and even reflex muscle signals are stopped. This is good because if a target has a hostage at gun point, you don't want them to reflexively pull a trigger and kill the hostage.

This shot placement is referred to as the T-box or the "apricot shot". You draw lines between the eyes and mouth, making a T. Typically with the nose in the center. You aim for the center of the T, and the round should hit the medulla oblongata, instantly turning off the human body as if you threw a switch to tun off a light.

Most people who have had modern fighting rifle and/or fighting pistol training (not to be confused with defensive handgun training) will tell you that they are trained to aim for the T-box, not center mass.

·
Registered
521 Posts
What knife is that brother? Nice collection
Thanks! I appreciate it.

The knife is an inexpensive assisted open Chinese blade by a company named "First Production Run". It is textured just like the Walther and is really solid. Normally I stick to brands like Benchmade, Buck and SOG, but I was too nice to pass up.

·
V8 dreams
3,573 Posts
What knife is that brother? Nice collection
Thanks! I appreciate it.

The knife is an inexpensive assisted open Chinese blade by a company named "First Production Run". It is textured just like the Walther and is really solid. Normally I stick to brands like Benchmade, Buck and SOG, but I was too nice to pass up.
OK thanks! When I googled that it just came up with all brands 'first production run'...I didn't even know that was a thing lol. I like my benchmade better than my sog simply for the opening action being smoother.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
You are right, but people need to understand why. If you are going to carry a weapon for defense, its not enough to know point and shoot technique. People need to know the "why" so they can be more effective.

Technically, there are lots of instances where one shot has killed someone. The problem is, you want instant... not 3 weeks from now because the target got a staph infection.

Body shots are intended to cause rapid blood loss to render the target unconscious. The fastest way to do that is to sever the Aorta. If we were to cut the Aorta with a knife, all dirty, unoxygenated blood is left in the body, while the heart pumps good blood into the body cavity. This typically takes about 4-4.5 seconds to render the target immobile due to blood loss.

The closest body shot to a "one shot, one kill" is a round that will severs the Aorta. This is why we are taught to aim for center mass. If a round severs the Aorta, the target is taken down quickly. If you miss, with follow-up shots, you can hit enough vital origins to stop someone fairly quickly.

The problem is, most people who are stopped with one or two bullets to the body are stopped because of psychological affects of being shot, not physical. So, if someone isn't mentally shocked into stopping, and you are lucky enough to sever the Aorta, that mo fo still has 4.5 seconds to kill you before he dies. If you don't hit the Aorta, then you have even longer before the target goes down. I have seen video of a guy with seven shots to the body have a fist fight with a LEO he disarmed that lasted almost 3 minutes before he finally passed out.

That leads me to my next gem... Instant Off. There is only one "one shot, one kill" location that I know of where the target is killed instantly. So dead in fact, that the brain is completely disconnected from the body and and even reflex muscle signals are stopped. This is good because if a target has a hostage at gun point, you don't want them to reflexively pull a trigger and kill the hostage.

This shot placement is referred to as the T-box or the "apricot shot". You draw lines between the eyes and mouth, making a T. Typically with the nose in the center. You aim for the center of the T, and the round should hit the medulla oblongata, instantly turning off the human body as if you threw a switch to tun off a light.

Most people who have had modern fighting rifle and/or fighting pistol training (not to be confused with defensive handgun training) will tell you that they are trained to aim for the T-box, not center mass.

That's how I'm training myself currently. I'm a little left of center because my handle is a little thick for my hands, thus giving me the tendency to push during trigger pull. "Aim small, miss small".

I'm looking at a single stack G43 currently.

Reactions: marcspaz

·
Registered
1,240 Posts

·
OG Moderator (R)
6,291 Posts
Well, since I live in a state that is what 'merica used to be, I got guns. Here are my newest acquisitions, well, I just ordered an M&P shield but that don't count 'cause its a little pea shooter for the wife.

The S&Ws are .460 while the Ruger is a .454 casull.
good Lord that is a nice pistol.
That would deter-th- f*ck out of me, were I a nere-do-well or deserving of being on the working end of that thing.yikes.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I only own 2, an HK 45c and an STI DVC in .40. The STI is mostly for competition but I do conceal carry it from time to time.
How do you like that HK45c?

I currently have a Glock 19, and a Glock 27, but I am looking at the HK45c, as well as the HKP30sk.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gun Shooting sport Recreation Trigger Revolver

Rather than list them all, let's just say I own a few guns, but here is one of my favorites!

Custom Les Baer .45 1911 Thunder Ranch with Thor's Hammer grips. It's a nail driver! It's usually on me..

My Jeep gun is a reliable old friend made by Colt. .45 1911 Commander. I tried to upload pics of it too, but apparently every pic I have exceeds my upload limit. :frown2:

Cheers!
Sam

121 - 140 of 148 Posts