JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to have the trans serviced from the dealer and considering taking in my own fluid.

Do you all run anything special like Amsoil or Royal Purple? stock stuff?

Opinions?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I recently did mine and just used Castrol Synthetic. It was what the auto parts store had enough of and I figures since I do it about every 25k miles, it wouldn't wear it out between changes.

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
Mopar ATF +4 after I changed the filter and drained some a few years back out of the 42RLE per the service manual . I run Amsoil equivalent fluids in the xfer case and diffs and engine oil but for this sensitive tranny I figure going by the book is best....

·
Registered
690 Posts
I haven't done (needed to) anything to the JK yet.

I did drive a Stratus as a daily driver and my wife had a Durango before her Caravan. All of them called for ATF+4.

I checked around and Mopar has an approval list. I was surprised to find the Supertech (walmart brand) ATF+4 was listed. I used it on the stratus and had zero issues. Also used it on the Durango, again, zero issues. For 4.72/quart, I'll keep using it.

Oh, the stratus was on the original transmission with 174k miles on it when we finally sold it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Amsoil ATF is what I run in built hard driven auto transmissions. My jeep is brand new when it needs a service I'll swap to it.. I don't care for any other Amsoil products but I have put over a 100 passes on drag cummins and sent the trans to the builder after the season and he asked me why I didn't drive it harder.. so the stuff holds up great to heat..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts