JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am from the T_yota truck world, now I have a JK. I had a few tools that were special for the T_yota truck for fixing things like snap ring pliers for hubs on the trail and spare parts that were known to be vulnerable to tail breakage..

My question is, What tools or spares are recommended to be carried for trail fixes on the JKs...?

Steve

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Duct tape and beer. And a real friend with parts and tools. And more beer. You can get pretty much anything with beer.

·
Registered
265 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Special Tools....

Well, Wrenches, BFH, and oil are not "SPECIAL" to the JK. So if we can exclude all the usual and universal tools and stick to that which is somewhat unique to the JK.

It is sounding like ordinary tools can fix anything on the JK...

So, no one here has broken a JK yet? What did you break? U-Joints?

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
It is sounding like ordinary tools can fix anything on the JK...

So, no one here has broken a JK yet? What did you break? U-Joints?

well, unfortuantaley, yes, there has been a lot of breaks on the JK, lol

and yes, I can not think of anything too out of the ordinary besides slightly larger sockets. I also carry gear puller and balljoint fork

Only thing needed for the ujoints is a 53mm socket (I carry 36mm). That is, if you have a spare shaft with the joint already installed. Pretty unlikely you will break a ujoint and have rest the shaft ok enough to just replace the ujoint, besides, I welded my ujoint caps on anyway

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
as far as spares, I would deff have axle shafts. They seem to be one of the most common breaks. Other then that, I would say all the same sort of spares you would carry for any rig

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
Typo, Scott meant to say 35mm. That, or he upgraded to some huge new axles since I last time I saw his Jeep :D
dammit! lol. Yah, I picked up some dana 100's.

I need to start taking my time when I type on here.

I just thought of one that may not be in the bag. A 12 point 1/2 inch for the bolts in the knuckle for changing drive shaft. Can somebody please verify if it is 1/2 inch? My remembery system fails

A

·
0 Posts
I just thought of one that may not be in the bag. A 12 point 1/2 inch for the bolts in the knuckle for changing drive shaft. Can somebody please verify if it is 1/2 inch? My remembery system fails
13mm, I just checked. 1/2" will work with a hammer if that's all you have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts