JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the pros and cons of the RK 5.5 coilover vs the Evo coilover front and lever rear??

The one diference I see is RK is 12in vs Evo can be 14in in drop, other than that, I don't know what I'm looking at

· Registered
8,435 Posts
What are the pros and cons of the RK 5.5 coilover vs the Evo coilover front and lever rear??

The one diference I see is RK is 12in vs Evo can be 14in in drop, other than that, I don't know what I'm looking at
There are alot of differences:

-I am assuming you are referring to the long arm kit and coilovers. In that case, Rock Krawler uses a three link rear (and optional three link front). This allows for alot less binding in back because most 4 link rear set ups including the evo have shorter upper arms.

-Evo's cantilever is pretty cool in that it allows you to have rear coilovers without doing any custom cutting or getting wider axles. It is expensive though and personally I dont like how the mounts are so far inboard but alot of people run this set up and love it. If you plan on having the RK kit with rear coilovers, you will probably have to do some cutting or get wider axles to accomodate mounting coilovers outboard.

-Evo uses custom valved King shocks with their kit. Rock Krawler makes their own coilovers and can valve them to your specifications. I believe you can run 14" coilovers with the RK kit as well.

-RK uses different joints which are narrower than the heim joints that Evo uses. This allows for greater misalignment in the joints (more flex).

Thats just some of the stuff I can think of. I am sure more will contribute.

· Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks,:beer: not sure if I want to switch out axles just yet. I am considering D60 on rear but because of new suspension and tires, that will cost a lot. I am willing to do cutting if need be and have the tools to do it.

If cutting needed to be done, what are we talking about? Cutting into the body to make room for the hoops on the rear?? If so, I'm ok with that as this JK will turn into a offroad Jeep over next 6 months or so once I finally have a second vehicle.

M goal is to run 40's

I def like the less binding, I'm getting fed up with replacing bushings and tearing up control arms because of bad bushings. BTW yea its the 4.5 RE la I'm running now. I think it was the RK coilover that I saw this year down at Jeepbeach and liked that setup but haven't seen the Evo in person yet

If I had to get wider axles then I would not get the RK lift at this point

· Registered
8,435 Posts
You can mount coilovers using something like Rebel Offroad's extreme kit which would require cutting the tub to run the coilovers through or you can try to mount the coilovers outboard. Since you dont want to get wider axles, this would require some combination of: getting less backspacing wheels, wheel spacers, and/or notching the frame and wheel wells.

· Registered
898 Posts
You can mount coilovers using something like Rebel Offroad's extreme kit which would require cutting the tub to run the coilovers through or you can try to mount the coilovers outboard. Since you dont want to get wider axles, this would require some combination of: getting less backspacing wheels, wheel spacers, and/or notching the frame and wheel wells.
If you end up with RK, this is what I would do. That is how RK did theirs. When I got my RK coils installed, it had to be modified so the tires don't rub at stuff and my currie Is 69.5 wide. I've also seen someone notch the frame and the well but I'm not crazy about notching the frame. I guess the other thing you can do is mount the coils in the factory location like poly does

· Registered
1,121 Posts
Frame notch with 14 inch travel ORIs. I am about 1/2 inch from the frame with droop and 1 inch from the tire at full bump. That is with 3.5 inches of back spacing and a 68.75 wms to wms axle.

· Registered
1,825 Posts
One big difference is Rk shocks are aluminum so they won't rust, I have no experience with kings but I had bilstiens on my Jk for 2 winters and they were covered in rust when I removed them

· Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
redx, thanks for the pics, after seeing that I know I am ok with cutting into the body. That actually isn't as much as I thought would be. I'm not big on that frame notch but if that's what has to be done for that setup.

Thanks a lot guys, you all gave me more idea or products to check into. I had forgotten that Rebel had a setup. I'll check them out too.

I like the aluminum shocks better. Seems to me the more info I get from you all, I will be leaning away from the Evo and take another route. Doesn't seem to be that bad, just have to willing to cut and weld a few things.

· Registered
1,121 Posts
How do you like those shocks
Love them, hate I didn't go with them on the front. They are super easy to setup, stable even without a sway bar, and has a built in bump stop. I don't do go fast stuff, just crawling and they work great. I have 6.5 inches of up travel in the rear with 5 inches of lift on 14 inch travel shock.

· Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm liking the Rebel coilovers, but I'm not liking the bigger brackets on the rear dropping below the axle tube. I'm still looking for pics on the other set ups. Besides the Evo, does any coilover get rid of those shock mounts and raise them above axle tube??

· Registered
2,361 Posts
Rk way cheaper to run coilovers, CS and quality is there, EVO has a really awesome setup, i have EVO rear and front...$$$$$$, if i did it again i would go another route, HELL, i will be strectching my rear and ditching the Rear Lever (about for 1/2 the price) in about 2-4 wks..:bounce:

· Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rk way cheaper to run coilovers, CS and quality is there, EVO has a really awesome setup, i have EVO rear and front...$$$$$$, if i did it again i would go another route, HELL, i will be strectching my rear and ditching the Rear Lever (about for 1/2 the price) in about 2-4 wks..:bounce:
thanks man, more and more I'm leaning towards the RK 5.5 X factor. I will have to call them on a few questions though

btw, if you post up your build, let me know, I'd like to follow it if you do.

· Registered
2,585 Posts
I'm liking the Rebel coilovers, but I'm not liking the bigger brackets on the rear dropping below the axle tube. I'm still looking for pics on the other set ups. Besides the Evo, does any coilover get rid of those shock mounts and raise them above axle tube??
Follow my "stretch" build thread in this section of the forum. Should have the coilovers done in the next week or so. It will be something different than what you have seen.

Oh, and I am a huge fan of the ORIs; a good friend of mine has ran 3 King of Hammers with them. If I didn't blast around the dunes several times a year, I would have gone ORIs too. Nothings more stable on the trail that lets you keep your flex.

· Registered
8,435 Posts
Look at the Rebel Extreme kit then. A few people on here have had it: MR LIKA, Ben Hedrick.

· Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I ended up ordering the RK X Factor Plus Long Arm Upgrade, 5.5" front and rear coil springs, 2.0 RRD Emulsion Shocks 12" travel.

I'm going to try this set up first until next season, then I can always add the reservoir to the shock or upgrade to the coil overs. I have received varying opinions from my local guys on coil overs, so this set up may in turn be just right for me. At least with this system I can always add to it instead of replacing everything again.

Thanks for all the info and opinions. Should have everything here in about 2 weeks. I will be changing out my current RE 4.5" la to this RK set up, so if anyone needs a write and pics, let me know.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.