JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seperate post.
Got a call today with our contact in the PP. There trying to put together a map of Wharton showing off limit areas. Jamima, 1/4 mile and other sensitive areas would be off limits to vehicles. There kicking around a three tier system, open roads, special use permit roads, (what ever that means) and closed areas. It's in Trenton now and looks like it's going to happen. PP told me they would in force the rules Posted on trees out there and DMV codes. They would like it if groups be smaller as to not block traffic on roads back there (illegal under park rules) I will be let know when a map comes out, or if any thing changes.:thankyou:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not good. Sppecial use permit roads would be those used by enduro events and the jeep jamboree. Who is making the map? Last time a map was taked about , the whole reason it wasn't done or going to be done within the forseeable future is because in order for it to be called a desinated path, the DEP had to do studies on each road. Mapping of the forest is one of the reasons why I partnered up with Russ Juelg from the Pinelands preservation alliance, to make sure we didn't get screwed. Rob Aullermuller, who is the Superintendent of Wharton State Forest was dead set on mapping of the forest and he was working on it in his off time. After speaking with him I realized that he didn't want any dead end trails mapped ( this is where hunters and geocachers and hikers usually park). Didn't want andy trails where a vehicle couldn't fit without getting scratches either. This is when I saw we were in trouble. If this is 100% true it has to be fought unless represenitives from different groups worked on it together. Hunters have to be notified, Geocachers, historians, photographers, hippies, enduro riders etc. This could be one of the worst things you ever sen happen unless, you like just cruing down roads such as Carranza and Speedwell.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right now you sit and wait and see if they get approval to start putting the map together. With it being in Trenton there are alot more important things for them to worry about other than map approval. A map itself is not a bad thing and in all honesty one of the best things tehre could be. However when restrictions are involved thats where action needs to take place. As of now it doesnt sound like they are trying to do away with trails. As a taxpayer of NJ state Taxes which fund NJ State Parks I believe I have the right to see any map which may restrict the use of my tax funded land. The best thing to do at the moment is to familiarize yourself with the rules and different map sources such as old topagraphy maps. garmin, magellan, mapquest, bing and google.
http://www.nj.gov/dep/rules/rules/njac7_2.pdf Subchapter 3 is on motorized vehicle use. Know these rules like the back of your hand and know your rights. Know what are mapped trails and what trails have been there longer than we have been born you kind find that info out on http://www.historicaerials.com/
You have to know the game before you say anything.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like how everyone was complaining about the special use permits, when they have been in existence forever. Gotta learn the rules and remember the rules and if the map contradicts the rules that are already in place at that point we gotta do what we gotta do. We have to make sure that those that are not causing any harm are not pentalized or restricted due to some idiots actions.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think that people were worried that those roads that end up on the map as "special use" roads would be roads that are already legal to travel down, and that now you would need a permit just to travel them. At least that is what my concern was.

If those Special Use roads are roads which are used during endoro events, then I don't have a problem with that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.