JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 2 door has horrible wet weather traction. I've driven rwd cars most of my time driving, and I've owned rwd pickups before but i've never had the back end slide out as much as on my wrangler. I have duratracs that although are getting a bit low, they still have plenty of trend left.

I've brought the issue up to a few local jeep friends and they all say thats how jeeps are but when i bring up the fact that i cant go up a certain road in the rain without 4wd they all say thats not normal.

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
By any chance, is your ass end light?

I usually carry (too much) crap in the back of my Jeep, and I've never experienced anything like that.

Every pickup I've ever had has been sketchy in wet weather with an empty bed - add a shell or a few hundred pounds of stuff, and it's OK.

Also, what tire pressure do you run?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was running 35psi but everyone's told me 28-30 is a good range so I'll try that and see how it helps.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Too stiff of a suspension can cause that. Tires, effectively part of the suspension, have to be considered and I think you found your answer.
I run 28psi or less on my 2dr w/Duratrac 315/70s. I don't slide unless I want to...
I also have a Trac-Lok rear which is fairly easy to bust loose on pavement when accelerating through a turn from a dead stop but, otherwise, the Jeep stays planted. I have to do something really stupid to lose the rear, like lift the throttle going into a turn.

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
I was running 35psi but everyone's told me 28-30 is a good range so I'll try that and see how it helps.
Nice, hope that does it for you!

You should notice improved traction and ride quality instantly (and possibly a loss of an MPG of fuel economy).

I run 26-28 in my 2 door, & get even tread wear across my 35x12.50s (first load range C MTR/Ks, now LR E Nitto TGs).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts