JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this belongs here or in modified tech, so here goes. I just ordered a new pair of sliders from VKS fab that are frame mounted and can be either drilled or welded. After talking to Vick at VKS I decided to weld because I was under the impression that it would provide better overall strength. Then I talked to a guy at work who said that welding to the frame of your vehicle is stupid because it is a hardened steel and there is a greater possibility of the frame cracking in that area once it has been welded. My question is does that statement have any merit or is that a bunch of BS?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
There have been thousands of folks that have welded to the frame, myself included, and have not suffered any detriment to the frame. I have heard of nobody's frame breaking or cracking. I am not saying your boy is an idiot but maybe overly cautious.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought the Pre-Runner sliders from VKS. Still waiting on them to arrive. Which ones did you go for? I plan to install by using the bolts at first since I am in the beginning stages of building up my Jeep. I will weld them on once I am certain that I will not need to remove them to put anything else on like rocker guards, skid plats, or lift kits. I am not worried about breaking the frame as I don't plan on rock bouncing or jumping the jeep.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just mounted these up the other night. I debated whether to just bolt them or weld also. I've decided to weld them. I went pre runner. I'm going to also plug weld the holes that they say to drill and use the self tappers for.
They fit so great that I know I'll stay with these that was the deciding factor. If I stretch that might be the only issue.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just bought the Pre-Runner sliders from VKS. Still waiting on them to arrive. Which ones did you go for? I plan to install by using the bolts at first since I am in the beginning stages of building up my Jeep. I will weld them on once I am certain that I will not need to remove them to put anything else on like rocker guards, skid plats, or lift kits. I am not worried about breaking the frame as I don't plan on rock bouncing or jumping the jeep.
I went with the prerunner's as well. I am going to paint them and hang them this weekend. I will bolt them on first and then plug the holes and weld later once I am a little bit better welder.

You won't have any issues welding them to the frame. People have been welding long arm brackets and sliders to the frame for decades now.
Thanks River City. That is what I thought, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing anything.

There have been thousands of folks that have welded to the frame, myself included, and have not suffered any detriment to the frame. I have heard of nobody's frame breaking or cracking. I am not saying your boy is an idiot but maybe overly cautious.
Agreed, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just mounted these up the other night. I debated whether to just bolt them or weld also. I've decided to weld them. I went pre runner. I'm going to also plug weld the holes that they say to drill and use the self tappers for.
They fit so great that I know I'll stay with these that was the deciding factor. If I stretch that might be the only issue.
JK, I decided to do the exact same thing. After I paint them. The only advantage I see to bolting is being able to take them off to repaint if I need to.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Then I talked to a guy at work who said that welding to the frame of your vehicle is stupid because it is a hardened steel ...
Nah. Plain old box formed steel. If it were hardened it would be tougher, but brittle. Frames do need to be able to flex (even a boxed frame does). If they didn't then every weld seam (wait, why does the factory weld on it if it can't be done?), every cross member location, every suspension attachment point would stress crack and fail pretty quickly.

·
Registered
164 Posts
JK, I decided to do the exact same thing. After I paint them. The only advantage I see to bolting is being able to take them off to repaint if I need to.

Yea I'm going powder coat. I'm sure I'll regret it when I want them touched up.
but I think I have a paint that will match. And I mean they are ROCK sliders for a reason. Hahaha. But I'm a vks fan.

·
Registered
360 Posts
How do you think the factory gets all the brackets on the frame? unicorn semen?
its mild steel. which welds really well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How do you think the factory gets all the brackets on the frame? unicorn semen?
its mild steel. which welds really well.
I'd actually heard that it was unicorn semen, that it had similar properties to structural welding, all while not damaging the frame as a weld might do. Huh guess that myth is debunked though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been welding for 15+ years and I welded on plenty of jeep frames. I have never seen one crack around or near the welded section. Your boy at work doesn't know what he's talking about. I would personally weld them on if it were me. Good luck building your jeep.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Good info.. On the fence with these sliders.. VKS or PS. Welding was a question. Thanks gents!

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Mine are bolted as well. Sliders wear out and easier to repair/replace than if welded on.

Mine are bent and all banged up but that's what they are for.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts