JKOwners Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,945 Posts
I couldn't agree with a statement more. I am kind of old school when it comes to welding hoods. I still prefer large view passive for every task. My frame of mind on auto darkening is this - there is not one electrical impulse that is faster than the speed of light. Think about that. If they can measure the time it takes to darken the filter, that is still too slow for my taste. I'd rather line up my nozzle and neck flip my hood down into place with the filter in place before the arc occurs over being able to see and still get even .0005 seconds of measurable and blinding light. Some might disagree, but man, being able to see is not worth the gamble.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a miller hood and love it but it also cost me $360..
^^ This! Best investment I ever made for my welding. My eyes are old now and the magnifyer inserts are tits!

·
Registered
907 Posts
I couldn't agree with a statement more. I am kind of old school when it comes to welding hoods. I still prefer large view passive for every task. My frame of mind on auto darkening is this - there is not one electrical impulse that is faster than the speed of light. Think about that. If they can measure the time it takes to darken the filter, that is still too slow for my taste. I'd rather line up my nozzle and neck flip my hood down into place with the filter in place before the arc occurs over being able to see and still get even .0005 seconds of measurable and blinding light. Some might disagree, but man, being able to see is not worth the gamble.
Close your eyes before you strike then. :thankyou:

I hate working with passive, neck flipping, then jolting your arm/hand and then having to flip the lid back up and setup up again,... or losing sight of your hand and tip in dark areas. Auto darkening is so much more convenient.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Close your eyes before you strike then. :thankyou:
Reading all of these in-depth theories about the speed of light...this sure crossed my mind as the obvious thing to do if that was the big concern using an auto-darkening hood.

·
Premium Member
4,069 Posts
Didn't see the need to start a new thread.

So my old Miller digital elite shit the bed on me and I thought I'd try something different.

Optrel vegaview 2.5. Optrel Vegaview2.5 Welding Helmet, Auto-Darkening. Welding Parts, Metal Working Accessories, Welder Supplies | USAWeld.com

This thing blows the old miller away in every aspect. It weighs nothing, you can see in color, when it's not darkened it's a shade 2.5, has a button you push on the outside for grinding that keeps it from darkening and the headgear is really nice too.

One thing I never liked about the Miller was a distortion of what you were looking at through the different lenses. The Optrel has none of that. Just a crisp and clear picture.

Below pic looking through hood.

And it was only 20 bucks more than a new Miller elite. I think it's a bargain.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Take a look at the Lincoln Viking series helmet. I have had one for about 5 months and really like it. It is alot cheaper than some of the millers, jackson, speedglas hoods and seems to be of equal value. I have the 3350 series but i think the 2450 is basically the same except for smaller viewing area. They can be had for less than 200 and you can get some pretty cool graphics on some of them.
After welding up my VKS frame sliders I'd finally had enough of my old Lincoln helmet. It was a hand-me-down but served me well up to now. It was falling apart and 2 sensors just wasn't enough in some of the positions I'd be in and get flashed.

So I stepped up to the Viking 3350. Tried it on in the welding supply place and it felt great. View size was phenomenal as well. Reviews show color and clarity of weld pools similar to hoods with Balder technology (maybe thats what 4C really is) so I was sold.

Got the regular black one cause I'm not into the graphic shit on hoods for $219 off amazon.

·
Administrator
2,049 Posts
After welding up my VKS frame sliders I'd finally had enough of my old Lincoln helmet. It was a hand-me-down but served me well up to now. It was falling apart and 2 sensors just wasn't enough in some of the positions I'd be in and get flashed.

So I stepped up to the Viking 3350. Tried it on in the welding supply place and it felt great. View size was phenomenal as well. Reviews show color and clarity of weld pools similar to hoods with Balder technology (maybe thats what 4C really is) so I was sold.

Got the regular black one cause I'm not into the graphic shit on hoods for $219 off amazon.
I got the 3350's little brother, the 2450 for Christmas, however, I made the mistake of leaving the stickers out where my wife could find them...

I've always used an old pipeliner hood with small passive lens, so this setup is very luxurious for me.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Just got my first auto, large view hood this year. Amazing.

But you want to know the life changer? Magnifying lens. I can actually see.

I got a 1.5 diopter and it is a world of difference to my 40+ year eyes.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts

·
Administrator
2,049 Posts
Ok, so I've been using Sweet Cheeks for a month now and there is one niggling little detail that makes me nuts. The grind mode button should be on the outside of the helmet. For some reason I do a lot of work where I alternate between the gun and the grinder and trying to get under the shield and poke the tiny "mode" button is impossible. Other than that, a month in, the helmet is great.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.