JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running a cheapo Harbor Freight auto-darkening hood for over a year or so now..it's done me just fine. However I've been playing with the MIG at UNT and have been using their low-end Miller hoods and I can see MUCH better. I don't think it's that dramatic of a difference in machines, I think my hood is just that shitty.

What is a reasonably priced hood, within $100-$150 that you guys recommend? Hobart? Miller? Pickup a used one?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I've been running a cheapo Harbor Freight auto-darkening hood for over a year or so now..it's done me just fine. However I've been playing with the MIG at UNT and have been using their low-end Miller hoods and I can see MUCH better. I don't think it's that dramatic of a difference in machines, I think my hood is just that shitty.

What is a reasonably priced hood, within $100-$150 that you guys recommend? Hobart? Miller? Pickup a used one?
i have a 3M speedglas...its pretty good...and got it for 130 out of a tool catalog i get in the mail

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,945 Posts
I just switched from a bottom of the barrel standard passive to an extended view passive and what a difference that even made. It was like going from a standard 4:3 television to a 16:9 view. I just don't weld enough to justify an extended view auto... I need to worry about a better machine first. Definitely upgrade that HF hood. I'd bet my extended view passive from Lincoln is better and more comfortable to weld with than the HF unit you have.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just switched from a bottom of the barrel standard passive to an extended view passive and what a difference that even made. It was like going from a standard 4:3 television to a 16:9 view. I just don't weld enough to justify an extended view auto... I need to worry about a better machine first. Definitely upgrade that HF hood. I'd bet my extended view passive from Lincoln is better and more comfortable to weld with than the HF unit you have.
Well I hope so, I'll be looking at a basic Hobart or something to try out. If it sucks, I'll return it and save my pennies for a high dollar one.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I was cruising Lowe's this afternoon and checked out their Kobalt brand welding hood. $100, didn't seem to bad. I picked it up and figured if I didn't like it, Lowe's would take it back with no issues.

So far so good, it is very noticeably better than the HF piece of crap. Much more defined puddles.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
when i started welding, i bought a cheap welder and a cheap hood. when the welder crapped out, i bought a new welder and a new hood. i think mine is a hobart. has a knob to adjust it... i've never messed with it. i think its on 4. visibility is awesome and i have never been blinded by the arc.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
when i started welding, i bought a cheap welder and a cheap hood. when the welder crapped out, i bought a new welder and a new hood. i think mine is a hobart. has a knob to adjust it... i've never messed with it. i think its on 4. visibility is awesome and i have never been blinded by the arc.
You are supposed to be on 11-12 when mig welding steel...4?! Glad it's not my eyes!

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you keep your eyes on amazon.com they have some high dollar lincoln and miller helmets come up for around 100 bucks I have bought 2 off there and paid around 100-125 for the 2 millers I have now

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got a miller big window elite about four years ago and its still going strong. Use it all the time and have used alot of other hoods and keep coming back to my miller.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

·
Registered
2 Posts
Take a look at the Lincoln Viking series helmet. I have had one for about 5 months and really like it. It is alot cheaper than some of the millers, jackson, speedglas hoods and seems to be of equal value. I have the 3350 series but i think the 2450 is basically the same except for smaller viewing area. They can be had for less than 200 and you can get some pretty cool graphics on some of them.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just to update this, the Lowes/Kobalt $100 hood has been working out very well for me. I'm sure there are better ones, but for my application, it fits my budget/use very well.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I do a lot of welding, so I picked an Arc angle hood with auto darkening lens.... Best $400 I've spent and made the quality of work a lot better!

Try this, very lite hood. I have heard some good things about that type of auto darkening lens. I have the different auto darkening lens, I chose the best since I weld a lot.... I just got done with a whole hospital grease duct system for the kitchen :)

http://m.cyberweld.com/jawehearcanb.html

·
Registered
9,421 Posts
Your eye's are worth more than Harbour freight for sure!
This can't be stressed enough. For work I keep it old school cause auto-dim lids act goofy in the rain but I have a Speedglas APC-V that I have from back when I was going to welding school and still use for farting around. I would advise people not to cheap out on a welding hood.

A good weldor can do great stuff with a crappy welding machine, but your eyes won't forgive you for repeated arc flash and inadequate shade use. Spend the money where the money should be spent.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.