JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to even ask, there are multiple welder threads on this very page but none answering my question.

Now I know what I want, I would want the MillerMatic 180 it is around $1000 on average and I know it would be a good welder I do not mind spending the money for quality tools:
http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.c...r-jfADwNe8CubMTKU9ma_NXUSc84qUD63iRoConXw_wcB

Now to the next option: Lincoln Electric K2698-1 Easy-MIG 180

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...e_hwQG3uN8sCpOtmdG-eqendOmvLkp-eUhxoC44Lw_wcB

Where the debate starts for the Miller I would have to buy out right, but the Lincoln which I also feel is a good welder, I can it get for $320 if I trade in my current smaller Lincoln and use Military discount. I could save a few more dollars and buy the Miller, but would any experience around here care to chime in? The average stuff I will be welding is 3/16 maybe 1/4 once and a while as I learn more about welding.

Again I can tell no doubt the subject of welders have been beat to death around here but I just wanna ask before I buy.

Thanks a lot,
James

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Nothing wrong with asking. I don't have any experience with those welders, but I doubt you could go wrong with either one.

If you went with the Miller (sounds like you prefer the Miller slightly) you could sell your current welder outright. Also, if you don't need the cart that comes with the one in your link, you can get the Miller for under $900.

Not to muddy the waters any more than they need to be, but here is a new Miller that could be am option, http://store.cyberweld.com/mi190migwe90.html

Anyway, maybe someone with direct experience will chime in. Good luck either way.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Ive used both and for the home hobbyists either is fine IMO...I can lay the same bead with either unit on 1/4" material.

If your on a tight budget, get the lincoln for the obvious cheaper price. IMO its a chevy vs ford or metalcloak vs rockkrawler, both are top notch units and can't really go wrong with either.

I liked the miller blue better than lincoln red but really wouldnt use that for justification...:shitstorm:

·
Jeepineer
1,495 Posts
I've been looking into the same thing/would have added the Hobart handler 190 to the mix as well, if anyone has experiance with them?

My crap HF 180a welder has paid for itself 100 times over but it might be time for an upgrade.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive used both and for the home hobbyists either is fine IMO...I can lay the same bead with either unit on 1/4" material.

If your on a tight budget, get the lincoln for the obvious cheaper price. IMO its a chevy vs ford or metalcloak vs rockkrawler, both are top notch units and can't really go wrong with either.

I liked the miller blue better than lincoln red but really wouldnt use that for justification...:shitstorm:

I'm with you on the Blue part.. it just looks cool... I'm thinking I could get the Lincoln at this deal, use it till I out grow it but a heavy duty Miller later and probably sell the Lincoln for what I paid.

I currently have this little guy, http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Electric-Weld-Pack-HD-Feed-Welder-K2188-1/100031840 First welder I ever used and had. I really like it but need to weld 3/16 steel. I got it at Home Depot it was shoved under the shelf box was destroyed and welder had been used they did not even know it was on the shelf. I walked out with it for $45 dollars. Local shop offered me $180 for trade in on the Lincoln 180 weld pak.

When it was on the shelf..

It cleaned up nice:

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Well I am about 95% set on this guy.. Any one have one ? I am welding 3/16 steel and this will do that easy shopping around for the best deal and I am gonna buy. It will come put of my 2015 budget for the Jeep but I should be able to build over buy and save some money.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/product.php?model=M00245
Hopefully someone with one will chime in, but from what I've read it seems like a very well regarded, well liked welder. I often see it recommended when someone is looking for a good, simple MIG welder.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've got a 211; had it for about 3 years now. It will weld up 3/16ths all day long, and is rated for up to 3/8ths on 220v. I've used it on 110 and 220, but primarily use it on 220. The unit is pretty flexible, and the auto set option is nice if you're not familiar with dialing a MIG in for the materials you're working with.

I've had a Lincoln MIG in the past and the 211 is a far better machine. Only MIG I prefer over the 211 is a miller 251, mainly due to the better duty cycle.

Well I am about 95% set on this guy.. Any one have one ? I am welding 3/16 steel and this will do that easy shopping around for the best deal and I am gonna buy. It will come put of my 2015 budget for the Jeep but I should be able to build over buy and save some money.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/product.php?model=M00245

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Alright well thanks, I just placed an order for the Millermatic 211, going to pick up some gas this weekend what size cylinder would you recommend? 85Cu Ft is $185, I did not check into smaller ones just asked what the largest one is. Currently building an Expo trailer no idea how much gas I would need but the closest place to buy it is about an hour and a half away.

I put my Lincoln up for sale locally for $180 that is half price for a 2 month old welder maybe Solomon will want it.

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Alright well thanks, I just placed an order for the Millermatic 211, going to pick up some gas this weekend what size cylinder would you recommend? 85Cu Ft is $185, I did not check into smaller ones just asked what the largest one is. Currently building an Expo trailer no idea how much gas I would need but the closest place to buy it is about an hour and a half away.

I put my Lincoln up for sale locally for $180 that is half price for a 2 month old welder maybe Solomon will want it.
I would recommend you get the largest tank you can afford, store and are willing to cart around. A large tank will last longer and is typically a better value to have filled/swapped.

For MIG welding I think 20 CFH is a good starting point for the flow rate. At that rate an 85 CF tank should last around 4 hours of welding time (time spent actually laying beads). Hope that helps.

·
Jeepineer
1,495 Posts
I would recommend you get the largest tank you can afford, store and are willing to cart around. A large tank will last longer and is typically a better value to have filled/swapped.

For MIG welding I think 20 CFH is a good starting point for the flow rate. At that rate an 85 CF tank should last around 4 hours of welding time (time spent actually laying beads). Hope that helps.
Agreed.

I'm using a 80 cu-ft tank, as it's the largest I could fit on my cart. It only cost $5 a fill over the 60 I had previously (about $25 to fill)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK cool, well I can buy the tank outright full for $185

But I think it will be better to rent a tank at $50 a year, this way I can get 3 tanks for the price of one and being in the military when I transfer they will not move the tanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts

I bought the millermatic211 about a month ago. Never electric welded before in my life. Love it very versatile . Got tiered of trying to find someone to weld stuff for me. Did my EVO sliders turned out great. Just running flux core wire right now till I get a bottle.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've been looking into the same thing/would have added the Hobart handler 190 to the mix as well, if anyone has experiance with them?

My crap HF 180a welder has paid for itself 100 times over but it might be time for an upgrade.

Ive got one and i love it, got it for just over $700 on a sale with free shipping from tractor supply. I can weld 1/4" beautifully on 5..... Its got 7 settings for amperage lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.