JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got these from Jason at rebel and installed them in the lod fog mounts with the bdf mounts and wired them into the oem fog light plug.(I got a male plug off of eBay)

Anyway my wife starts driving me nuts saying that the little lights on the side keep blinking, keep in mind I'm pouring sweat trying to grease the front end and pull the front rotors to have them turned, it was freaking hot today. Well finally after many your driving me fng nuts comments she finally points to the d2's not the little blinkers, so I still think she's nuts and never see it, finally they started like a SOS blink but it was REAL faint. I know it's not the lights and it's the oem wiring and canbus crap but why in the hell is it doing all of this with all of the lights off, key out and doors locked?

It's sort of possessed, any ideas? There are no pinched wires anywhere.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
The fog lights are powered with pulse width voltage. Most people just use the fog light wires to trigger a relay which in then feeds power from the battery to the auxillary lights. Sucks, but that is what is happening. The current at the fog light plug is being pulsed. If you had a fast enough meter or scope you'd see waveform on that circuit. I'd wire to the battery and use a relay in conjunction to the factory fog circuit.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's fine and I can understand the pulse width but I can't understand why any electrical pulse or flow is happening with everything off.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
It has something to do with LED's and the system self checking itself because it's looking for more resistance or something.
My Genright turn signals and markers do the same shit after I shut the thing off, but only for about as long as the accessories stay on (when you have the doors off). It's never killed my battery or anything. It's never caused any problems. :)

·
Administrator
8,742 Posts
Same here.. did Dually's on Smurfette and they "strobe" or "pulse" for a couple of minutes or so.

I could wire in a relay, and get power from the battery but I would sooner just wire them to the sPOD but Jenna wants them to work from the factory stalk switch. We will live with the pulse.. doesn't seem to hurt anything.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I heard that the dealership will turn off the pulse in the bus if requested. HAven't checked myself but I got the info from a reputable source who had it done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the exact same issue. Someone else here on the forum recommended using HID flicker cancelers. I picked up a pair of HID "error decoders" off of eBay, and it solved the problem. (this one: item # 330763124700)
For some reason, it seems to be more prevalent with the spot beam pattern.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mine do it too. No biggie. Oddly only the left does it. Do both of yours or just one side? I wired direct to factory canbus system too. I just figure Heep had a capacitor in the system some place that was bleeding down.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Gonna have to call BS on this one, unless you can prove it.:cwm13:
+1
Maybe talking about the low voltage DRL feature which can be programmed but highly doubt that the "normal" bulb saver PWM can be programmed out of the TIPM

I wired direct to factory canbus system too
Hmmm if you wired directly to the factory canbus system then your Heep wouldn't be running anymore and would have fried every control module that is connected via the CAN bus Data Network system :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
I had a set of amber duallys that did this. Replaced them with a set of D2s that don't. Nothing changed in the wiring. I feel like something is different in the circuitry of the lights themselves.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Mine do the same thing. No biggie. Had a guy ask me what it was. I told him it was the alarm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
LEDs are very quick to turn on and have pretty much zero warm up time, unlike halogen bulbs. The same pulse thing is happening with halogens, but you don't see it as the pulse is gone before they react. My LED turn signals flash when you open the doors, same thing happens with the factory turn signals, but because the halogen bulb is so slow to come on you never see it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts