JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're looking at trailering a TJ and a JK with a Dodge Ram and goose neck from Wisconsin to Moab. However, we're being told that we're over the weight limit and need a CDL. Any input?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
This is too important to not get the information from source.
I looked it up on the net, and it's a little vague with the phrase "for hire".

I would call the state police, or the DMV.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly. And the local troopers are vague too. I'm not quite sure we're getting all the information. And how it varies as we cross each state.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I just went to the Maine DMV, which defers to the Federal site on the subject, where it spells it out, but it's still not specific to somebody hauling "not for hire". It says people occasionally transporting personal property are exempt, but it's a little vague as to the degree of exemption.

In the past, I have had such questions, and went to a lawyer to ask. Most will address your question for no-to-minimal charge.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Class A: Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

States are required to follow the minimum Fed regulations as it has to do with vehicle weight ratings.

For non-commercial, I wouldn't worry about it. Plenty of RV pushers in excess of 26K lbs and you don't need a CDL.

However, individual states can do their own thing on top of the Fed statutes. Wisconsin has a thing for vehicles over 45'.

I can see two Jeeps, a pick-up and a big gooseneck making that much weight, or not, and being in excess of 45'. Looks like a close call in your case.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Just get a damn sticker that says "Not for Hire" :thefinger: and remove it when you are back home. Just to cover your arse. That'll set you back around $10.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it was us being over 26k that was the kicker. And we would need a CDL. I'm going off second hand info from the guy who owns the truck.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
I think it was us being over 26k that was the kicker. And we would need a CDL. I'm going off second hand info from the guy who owns the truck.
Don't know where you are at but here are the Virginia CDL regs, page 7 has a nice flow chart with requirements. I'm willing to bet your paycheck :) that these are based on Federal requirements.

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/dmv60a.pdf

Believe most states, if not all, have a requirement of CDL license if you are over 26K lbs. Unless you have a motorhome.
Class B CDL in VA is required for over 26K.

Some states are starting to require a MH license now (some states it's a modified CDL)....probably a good thing.

·
Registered
681 Posts
ok first I am from WI

second do you know what the "C" stands for in CDL? -- commercial (not being an azz some people don't know)

third I have the emails from the WI DMV that state I do not need CDL if not in a COMMERCIAL vehicle. this was to drive a semi for personal use well over the 26000 lbs.
I know a lot of people get it all confused

I even listened to an RV saleman tell a potential customer he would need CDL to pull a camper.

if you want 1st hand knowledge go to the WI DMV site and they have a place for questions. ask there and they will respond in a day or two.

hope this helps

BTW just a quick think on it, I don't think 2 jeeps a pickup and a goose neck would be over 26K anyway.
now I will add, make sure the plates on your truck are the correct weight. they will ding you on that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Everything I read seems like it is assumed it is for commercial purposes though. I'm not seeing anything about private party

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,099 Posts
Call these guys.

For any motor carrier enforcement related questions, please call the Motor Carrier Enforcement Information System (MCEIS) telephone number: (608) 267-9762.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,099 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Asked my Father about this very question a few nights ago. As long as it's not Commercial (keyword) and doesn't have air brakes (non-RV), generally you are fine. (I didn't ask about length, might be a state thing).

He's an owner operator and is the 'go to guy', whenever someone the company he is leased to, has questions on this/that/other thing. He's been driving for over 40 years.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts