JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week while driving over some very tractor trailer rippled pavement at DECENT speed I developed a lovely instance of WOBBLE. HOLY SH!T was that startling. Thanks to a color coded diagram that I found on a search here I was able to diagnose and fix the problem.

I checked all of my mounts and bolts. Sure enough the drivers side track bar bolt was very lose. I torqued it to 130 lbs and ran thru the mess of road. No more wobble. Woo hoo

I also silicone lubed my freedom top weather stripping, duct taped the door strikers, and lowered the tire pressure on my 35" mud grapplers to 28 lbs. The beast is much more pleasant to drive.

Thanks for the advice and help....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

* (Green) Tie Rod can be bent, worn or broken. Usually causes Shimmy
* (Purple) Drag Link if either end were damaged or worn. Usually causes a shimmy.
* (Aqua) Trackbar can have worn bushings and or oval'd mounts. This can cause severe DW.
* (Purple & Light Blue) Upper and Lower Control arms can cause issues if bent or bushings are bad. Usually these go to shit if they were not loosened up during the install of a lift.
* (Tires) usually improper balance cause a shimmy
* (not show) Ball Joints can cause a bad shimmy

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Great work! That diagram has helped lots of us get a grasp on just how things work up front.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And while I was underneath, I found a couple of pleasant surprises while I was under there. Poly Performance shocks... I was told skyjacker lift and just assumed other components would be iffy. And full skid plates to boot...

·
Registered
382 Posts
That is an awesome photo- where can I download it in a larger size.

My reading glasses just don't cut it . . . .

Thanks

Ron

·
Registered
298 Posts
what he said ^

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will upload one from home. I guess the taptalk/iPhone combo must have downsized it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts