JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never had, nor wanted a CB radio before. But since they do seem useful, and used frequently in this hobby, I am going to pull the trigger on one.

My question is, how useful are the CBs with the weather alert features? I can see that feature being useful out here towards the end of summers when the thunderstorms can cause flash flooding miles away from the source and on short notice, but does the feature actually work reliably?

So far, I think I have narrowed down my CB search to the Cobra 29 series. Mainly for the fact that cobra was what my grandpa always used and their reputation still seems to be good. The 29 series has a choice between having the weather alert or a bluetooth feature. If the weather alert works, I will go that route. If not, I will just go for the bluetooth option as I hate the BT headsets and never use them. It would be nice to be able to answer my phone in the car without resorting to the crappy speakerphone.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
my weather channels work on my cheap little midland unit...but I haven't tested anywhere but west Texas yet...so your mileage might vary, but I am happy with them...:)

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Weather is cool when you live in an area that has issues. I have a Cobra that turns on automatically when there is an Emergency broadcast even when the radio is turned off.

Then only time it pisses you off is when the storm has passed and you get all the other alerts while your trying to sleep.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have the Cobra 75 and the weather channels came in handy this past weekend in FL.
Could track the storms for my trip back home.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Weather is cool when you live in an area that has issues. I have a Cobra that turns on automatically when there is an Emergency broadcast even when the radio is turned off.

Then only time it pisses you off is when the storm has passed and you get all the other alerts while your trying to sleep.
Can't remember the model but I had one for my 06 Rubi, latest model that was a full size Cobra w/weather, had it peak/tuned and the leds changed to a diff color, thing was awesome, kicks on even when off and really did it's job as promised for the weather alerts.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Weather

I'm in southern Calf. We don't have weather here! ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9584

If you're interested in it let me know. I'll ship it for free.

James
Thanks for the offer, but I went ahead and bought the WX version a few weeks back. Wishing I would have bought the BT version now. Come to find out, the weather stations do not have any good transmitters for the Mojave Desert...the only region I wanted it for...:shaking:

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm in southern Calf. We don't have weather here! ;)
I know. There it's spelled whether, as in whether or not we'll have an earthquake or fire today.:laughing:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts