JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well looks like my waterpump is leaking--- thought I would go ahead and change it...

Anyone got opinions on Napa pumps... Not really wanting the OEM again after reading all the failures.

Greg

·
Registered
402 Posts
The Napa pumps are made by Gates. They went to them about 3 years ago if I remember correctly. I sell plenty and a defect is few and far between when installed correctly. Its a line I feel confident in no matter what. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

And to sticking with the stock unit. JK's are no more than 3-4 years old max. In this day and age that's premature failure of these parts in my opinion. The JK water pump is not a special unit and is very basic. How many miles at failure??

·
Registered
918 Posts
Are you sure it's the pump and not just the gasket?

My gasket started leaking and for about $4-5 I got a new gasket from Autozone (ordered and arrived within 2 days). This was about 1 month ago so the price should still be the same. Took a total of 20 minutes to change out.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Well looks like my waterpump is leaking--- thought I would go ahead and change it...

Anyone got opinions on Napa pumps... Not really wanting the OEM again after reading all the failures.

Greg

If you have the LTPTW, the water pump is covered.:D

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Oem is the best choice

Jason
Not necessarily. Take the factory throw-out bearing for the standard transmission. Complete junk. I had mine replaced at 25k and it started making noise again at 27k.

Also consider the factory throttle control unit. Jeep engineers even admit that it wasn't designed for optimal shifting but to make the acceleration much smoother (see gradual and slow).

Also the factory radiator fan can go bad when it encounters water. A small oversight by Jeep but there are aftermarkets that are almost waterproof.

While factory may be best for some applications (like taillight wiring harnesses) it isn't always the case.

OP: I would go with the NAPA part. I've been to them quite a bit for parts and so have friends of mine. Never had a problem with them and they were always honest with us.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts