JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
My Superwinch EPi9.0 worked partially submerged. I have had two of these and I think they are as good as anything for the money.

Fast
Powerful
Great sealed contacts
Brake outside the drum
Low cost- $600

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I've submerged my winch and never had a problem using it afterwards and it's just a cheapy HF.

·
Registered
962 Posts
If you have submerged your winch(patially or fully) it's suggested that you take the winch apart and clean everything up and re-grease. Where there's water, there's grit and dirt and all things electrical and mechanical abhor grit and dirt.

If you want a winch that will work OK in the water, go hydraulic. Just remember the motor must be running for it to work.;)

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
My Superwinch EPi9.0 worked partially submerged. I have had two of these and I think they are as good as anything for the money.

Fast
Powerful
Great sealed contacts
Brake outside the drum
Low cost- $600

QUOTE]

what he said, have the same winch and have had superwinches since the early 80's. never had a problem with any of them.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts

Fast
Powerful
Great sealed contacts
Brake outside the drum
Low cost- $600

4X4X4- Like your winch install on the stock bumper. Would you PM me some pics from different angles and also how you mounted it?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Kenny from river raider turned me on to this winch pretty cheap also :beer:

http://www.promarkoffroad.com/truck-jeep-winches/10000lb-recovery-winches/promark-10000lb-silver-back-series-electric-recovery-winch.html"]

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I don't think any winch is actually water PROOF. Yeah, you should take it apart after a dunking, but here in Michigan I'd be pulling mine apart about 8 times a year. lol. It's currently about 3 years old and hasn't missed a beat. My bumper is looking a little rough after this winter though so I may pull it all apart and regrease the winch when I repaint my bumper.

For what it's worth, most problems are related to the solonoids. Milemarker has a new winch that is all solid state control that is waterproof...

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm gonna be mounting my solenoids under the hood after coating them in dielectric grease.. Should do the trick unless we go swimming... Haha

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I am running a Warn, it has had a few dunks and still works 100% I live in Raincouver and it sees water probably 200 days a year.

It has great waterproofness (its a word, I just used it:thefinger:)

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have a 4 door Rubi with a Superwinch EPi9.0, same as the post above. I have had it all the way under water, spooled it out all the way and it worked fine. I use a healthy dose of dielectric grease on the remote connection though. I use it about 40 times per year and never had an issue. Best $550 I ever spent. :mr-t: "I pity the fool..."

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ahh didnt think about using that grease on the electrics of the winch thats a good idea:D

gotta get enough for my expo one basic dx first then i can start saving for the lp8500

i fell more comfortable give superwinch my money compared to xrc jsut becasue they have higher standards:D

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
If you are running thru water and have a winch make sure you PLUG the control in before you start wheeling. you do NOT want to have to open the plug under water to plug the controller in.

I usually plug mine in and run the cable under the hood latch to hold it up from catching on tire, then hang it inside my window

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you are running thru water and have a winch make sure you PLUG the control in before you start wheeling. you do NOT want to have to open the plug under water to plug the controller in.

I usually plug mine in and run the cable under the hood latch to hold it up from catching on tire, then hang it inside my window
wow...thats a good idea. does it have to be on with a controller plugged in too?

:D:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts