JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 07 4 door Auto I have the scan gauge and at 65 mph my water temp with the ac on is 220 to 222 it seems high to me and I have a trans cooler in my tow package.
Next towing my camper the other day back home 2780 lbs at 65 mph my temp went to 240 and I shut the ac off and slowed down to 60 miles per hour but my temp was about 222 and 227??? I thought we can tow 3500 lbs.
Any one know what temp we should be??? Do I have a problem with my cooling system?? HELP!

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
That does seem high. Mine peaks at 215-220°F, but runs between 198-206°F 99% of the time, and very rarely moves out of that range at freeway speeds. That is with an outside air temp in the 90's and the AC blasting away.

I don't tow with mine, so can't say how it compares, but 240°F seems way too hot to me even when towing and would give me some cause for concern. 220-222°F seems too high when not towing too.

I know it's obvious, but I'd check the radiator for mud/leaves/bugs/etc blocking it up. I'd also check the fluid levels, oil/tranny/engine. Make sure the belt is running tight too. A t-stat that is not opening fully could cause these high temps too.

Without a tranny temp gauge you can't tell how hot the tranny is running, and the main radiator houses the tranny cooler and they exchange heat to an extent, so a really hot tranny may cause a really hot engine. I'd imagaine the tranny is getting pretty warm when towing, but it should not be an issue the rest of the time.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the dealer said My 2 speed fan is a one speed (and is not for my Jeep) fan and the have to order the right unit for my Jeep! Can you believe they put the wrong unit in it!
They will have it by Monday! So back I will go!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.