JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when you guys do your water crossings, how do you keep your TPMS sensor from getting wet and broken? is there something i can put over it to protect it, a couple of them have broken cause of "water damage" both water crossings i've attempted... thanks in advance

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Never had any. The sensor is inside the rim and attaches the valve stem with a bolt. There is really no way water should effect them unless you are hitting something, or somehow getting water in the tire.

Any trail rated jeep is supposed to be able to ford 18"? Of water. Plenty to submerge a sensor, whoever said water damage is full of bs

·
Registered
456 Posts
I would also think if you're getting water INSIDE the tire - that would not be good at all...

I know moisture can build up inside there from the change in atmosphere / temps - but doubtful it is enough to damage a tpms sensor, which from all the pictures I have seen is a completely enclosed plastic device - probably some RF transmitter inside the casing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
all i know is i went to about 36 inches of water with 33 inch tires on it. and then shortly thereafter by abs tpms and check engine light came on. the dealership claimed two of the sensors went bad or something. what do you think it actually woulda been?

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Perhaps a computer issue under the hood? I have crossed 12"-18" of water many, many, times when I had the stock wheels on. Never once had an issues with the TPMS

·
Registered
494 Posts
all i know is i went to about 36 inches of water with 33 inch tires on it. and then shortly thereafter by abs tpms and check engine light came on. the dealership claimed two of the sensors went bad or something. what do you think it actually woulda been?
The harness side of the sway bar actuator connector on the Rubicon is susceptable to water intrusion. When that happens, it can disrupt bus communications and cause all kinds of weirdness. It even knocked out my radio.

Get some silicone faucet grease from your local plumbing supply to seal the connector. Pull the shell off the connector thats on the harness end, and blow any water and/or grease out with compressed air. With your finger, work some new grease down in between the wires on both the wire side and the pin side of the connector. The goal here is to keep the water from getting through the connector to the pins. Reinstall the connector hood when done. The harness plug is already sealed well to the mating connector on the disconnect motor.

Doing this once or twice a year fixes my weird electrical gremlins.

If you don't have the Rubicon, it may be some other electrical connection that got waterlogged and causing the problem. Most of them are pretty well sealed. Unfortunately, the engineer that spec'ed out the swaybar commector was on drugs that day.

Like others have said,the TPMS sensors are pretty water resistant. Just make sure you run the correct valve stem caps (with the o-rings to seal them). If yours are missing, that could cause damage to the sensors from mud getting into them.

ABS sensor wires can be ripped out by brush and floating sticks in water. That could also cause the problem.

Another problem you may have is splashing a lot of water into the TIPM (fuse box). Next time it happens, let it dry out for a few days to see if it clears up on its own.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys. if it happens again ill post up here with more detail. last time i just took it to the dealership. told them they got damaged in the rain here and they took it in for a couple days and replaced some stuff under warranty :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Warranty is good

·
Registered
70 Posts
Spent the whole afternoon in water up to the exhaust pipe off and on for at least 2hrs some of that actually driving up and down a river trying to get out of a canyon with about 100 other jeeps and had no problem with the tpms stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts