JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate it when you wash the jeep and you get water behind the mirrors and it drains out for hours after you have finished washing the darn thing!

·
Registered
900 Posts
I drilled the holes in my mirrors where the horizontal portion of the mount meets the round base plate. Works great and provides less of an opportunity for the drill bit to get into the paint and start rusting. :)

·
Registered
962 Posts
FWIW, if you have ever taken the mirrors off you will notice that there is already a drain hole (actually a "V" shaped notch) in the bottom of the mount. Trouble is, the foam gasket fills the hole when its compressed:shaking:

I ended up drilling too. One thing I have noticed, FOD gets in there and plugs the hole. I usually have to clear the hole everytime I wash it by either forcing water in the hole with the hose or by sticking a thin wire in and flushing from the top.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
wouldn't folks just make the seal v groove a little bigger to fix the problem instead of drilling a perminent hole in the plastic?

·
Registered
900 Posts
wouldn't folks just make the seal v groove a little bigger to fix the problem instead of drilling a perminent hole in the plastic?
Fixing Chrysler's manufacturing screwup requires you to remove the mirrors......drilling the holes doesn't. :D

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
One thing I have noticed, FOD gets in there and plugs the hole. I usually have to clear the hole everytime I wash it by either forcing water in the hole with the hose or by sticking a thin wire in and flushing from the top.
I neglected clearing mine out for a while and now one side does not drain.I guess I need to pull it off and clean it out now.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
so I drilled mine but it didn’t seem to help much. So a few minutes ago I decided to go look at them. All it takes to take them off is a T(torx)40 bit and 2 screws. Yeah mine wasn’t clogged with a little trash, it full of MUDD. I cleaned it out, trimmed the foam back some and enlarged the factory drain hole. We shall see how it does, rain predicted Friday.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I tried drilling a hole and it made little difference. I removed the mirror made a bigger v notch (about 3/16" deep), removed the foam from the bottom 1/2", touched up the paint damaged from drilling the earlier hole, and put the mirror back on. Drains in seconds now and really not noticeable unless you look for it.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
DIE SPAMMER SCUM!

Reported

Who cares about a few droplets of water....jeezzuzzhcristo...is that what owning a Jeep is all about:shaking::shaking::shaking:

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
But doesnt the water eventually get in between the door and inside panel? My hardtop already channels enough water into the interior, w/o help from the doors...ugh!

·
Registered
206 Posts
But doesnt the water eventually get in between the door and inside panel? My hardtop already channels enough water into the interior, w/o help from the doors...ugh!
It probably would if it gets up above the lower bolt hole. I did the "cut v-notch in the gasket" method instead of drilling. It takes < 1 minute to remove the mirror (two torx bolts).

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
Who cares about a few droplets of water....jeezzuzzhcristo...is that what owning a Jeep is all about:shaking::shaking::shaking:
It's more than a few drops, it actually pools up in that big ole' thing.

I haven't done ours yet after eleven months of ownership.:shaking: But I'll definately be removing the mirrors before doing any drilling. I like the "fix the vee groove" idea best. I was reading someone drilled a 5/8 and someone else a 1" hole in the bottom:rasta:

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Yepp...more time for :beer::beer::beer:

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
X2 on stop cleaning the Jeep.:D Funny thing, it looks good dirty.

I agree! Dirt and a little "pin striping" improve the looks of the jeep! :D I guess it just never occurred to me to wash it... So no problem with the mirrors

1 - 17 of 17 Posts