JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went with the VisionX Tantrums for my rock lights. They are simple, and are relatively inexpensive for what you get.
There are many ways to wire these up, and this method worked for me. It took me 3 hours, and I'm slow...
If anyone has alternative methods please add! (Hardwired, switched, etc.)

Step 1:

Get the Tantrum Kit.

Step 2:

Wire the controller under the steering column. Run both wires through the console carpet and end under drivers seat. Use supplied 3M adhesive tape to mount controller.

Step 3:

Run the Controller output cable through the rubber drain below drivers seat.

Step 4: (Optional)

Zip tie a 12V plug splitter under the drivers seat. (I chose this method to keep various mobile electronics charged without switching them out all the time)

Step 5:

Install all the lights and run wires to the crossmember above the transfer case. I used .032" safety wire for most of the lights, and zip ties for the wires.

Front light:

Behind front tire:

In front of rear tire:

Rear light:

Step 6:
Connect all wires to the distributor box, turn on & check the lights. If everything works, put silicone around box connections, and around box seams. Then roll up the wires as neat as possible & zip tie.

End result:

·
Registered
621 Posts
I've had these for over a year now... Been to lazy to install them...
Guess I should get in that.

Good write up b

·
Registered
177 Posts
I love mine. I used long pop rivits to install the lights. I ran all of my wires in the frame. A little tough to do, but well worth the trouble.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I've had mine for a couple of years and they still work well.
I trimmed all of the excess wire length and spliced all of the wires into 1 wire and ran them off a switch. that way I don't have to have the controller box and that stupid remote.
Although, now I don't have the "Disco Light" feature.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a set in my "to install" box at home waiting for warmer weather. This write-up is awesome and provides some great ideas.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I've had these for over a year now... Been to lazy to install them...
Guess I should get in that.
Good write up b
Six months for me too. I will get to it one of thses days.

I've had mine for a couple of years and they still work well.
I trimmed all of the excess wire length and spliced all of the wires into 1 wire and ran them off a switch. that way I don't have to have the controller box and that stupid remote.
Although, now I don't have the "Disco Light" feature.
When I do install, it will be the same thing for me. One switch in my S-Pod and wallah!!:beer:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts