JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have this issue on a new 2012 JKU?

When cold, I get a vibrating sound coming from the center of the dash that goes away as the vehicle warms. It's annoying but does not seem critical. It happens between 1000 and 1500 RPM. If I step on it it doesn't happen. Just when cold and cruising slow.

Dealer claims they couldn't find anything wrong but I told them "just drive it cold and you will hear it". Of course it was warm when they drove it. I knew it wasn't going to happen then.

·
Registered
108 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the same issue I took out the glove box and put some craft foam in between the two metal heater hoses (I need to change it to some rubber but it is what I had at the time) it has helped. I plan on changing it out to rubber tomorrow. I could of taken it to the dealership but like the OP they probably wouldn't have heard it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the same issue I took out the glove box and put some craft foam in between the two metal heater hoses (I need to change it to some rubber but it is what I had at the time) it has helped. I plan on changing it out to rubber tomorrow. I could of taken it to the dealership but like the OP they probably wouldn't have heard it.

Thanks for the info...I will try that fix.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I have the same issue on my 2012.... Let me know what you figure out because like you it goes away as soon as it warms up. They also have the top end of the engine apart looking for a reason for a burning oil smell in the engine bay that gets blown into the cab with the vents blowing.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm getting it too. It feels like when you release the clutch in a gear too high, just much subdued. I also noticed the auto tranny sometimes doesn't shift at city crawling speeds and the jeep struggles to move under 1000rpm.
Could be a programming issue.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just talked to the dealership it was actually the defroster cable hitting the window he moved it around and put some foam tape on it to fix it. Just waiting for my wife to get home from work so I can go get it.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I just talked to the dealership it was actually the defroster cable hitting the window he moved it around and put some foam tape on it to fix it. Just waiting for my wife to get home from work so I can go get it.
Hard to believe that this is the fix... The noise sounds like it is much lower and not sure why it would go away when the engine heats up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
After going and picking it up he said on the phone defroster cable but after I picked it up he meant my sirus radio cable I installed behind the dash!

So that didn't fix it I hate dealerships they just dont care if they would have let it sit over night and started it up in the morning they would have realized that wasn't the fix. I ended up chasing it down myself. It was the A/C lines coming into the cab from the engine bay. I loosened up the firewall bracket tugged on the lines towards the drivers side. While tugging on them I tightened up the bracket and low and behold my vibration is gone!

·
Registered
118 Posts
i have this noise for a split second once i start up. oh well though, its a jeep lol

however, i am concerned with a knocking under my driverside floor..:shaking:

·
Registered
230 Posts
if it was just a vibration for a quick second I wouldn't care but mine did it for about 30 min after it starts up till everything gets nice and toasty/soft.
It seems there are 2012 Jeeps that make a vibrating noise because of loose cables/wires/stuff and 2012 Jeeps that exhibit motor/drive-train vibration.
No solution yet for the latter. (waiting for one)

·
Registered
118 Posts
that sounds like you need to fix some wires that are loose.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Hard to understand how wires could be the issue since when the jeep warms it goes away. Seems like if that was the issue it would be there all the time and not just in the morning. After the dealership took apart my top end to figure out my other problem I think they fixed whatever my issue was because I didn't notice it the last two days....

·
Banned
15,533 Posts
This reminds me of when the 07 JK's first came out. Weird shit happening in a brand new powerplant and not a single dealershit tech across the whole country able to figure them out. Part and parcel with how Jeep does shit these days. They rush something into production, fail to shake out all the bugs and then issue a bunch of recalls to fix everything the engineers overlooked. Happens every time they make changes to this magnitude.
Every. Freaking. Time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well after thinking I figured it out it was back!

Then I found it by accident it was that Huge plastic engine cover! I took it off to look at the A/C lines behind the engine and low and behold it was gone I put it back on and it was back but only if the hood was shut. That cover was hitting the plastic piece on the washer fluid nozzle hose! I couldn't believe that that would make that much noise inside the cabin. I took the cover off (just pull the front up and it pops off no tools required) I let it cool down I went to Bdubs a few minutes ago and I didn't hear it and I couldn't make it do it. You could actually see where it was hitting it if you look under the while closing it.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
WIth all the engine work I am having somehow mine got fixed... I don't recommend my fix action LOL Of course they didn't fix the reason they had to take apart the engine.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.