JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my jeep is starting to worry me a little with a vibration in the front end. Its hardly noticable if you don't pay attention to it but its always there. the thing is, when I turn left it grts stronger and when I turn right it goes away but it is always there when going straight. Anyone else have this problem? I checked the front end and everything seems ok. Its not the tires unless three sets of tires are making the same vibration. btw I have no lift, the suspension is totally stock at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Ok my jeep is starting to worry me a little with a vibration in the front end. Its hardly noticable if you don't pay attention to it but its always there. the thing is, when I turn left it grts stronger and when I turn right it goes away but it is always there when going straight. Anyone else have this problem? I checked the front end and everything seems ok. Its not the tires unless three sets of tires are making the same vibration. btw I have no lift, the suspension is totally stock at the moment.

Thanks in advance.
first thing to check is the tire PSI. what are you running in your tires? what kind of tires are you using? 35's? or stock 32's?

the wheel vibrating is almost all the time a wheel balacing issue. i've had more than a half dozen shops try to balance my tires and only one has got it right.

1. PSI
2. Wheel need to be balanced
3. Tire rotation?
4. Ball Joints?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
psi is good

the tires I have on there now were mounted and balanced today.

Its more of a high frequency vibration, too high for ball joints.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Are you sure you didn't leave it in 4WD?

Sorry just bustin your balls.

I would check your axle u-joints. They will encounter different stresses under different turning conditions.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked at them couldn't see anything wrong sitting still.I'm going to get someone to drive it while I watch it. And no lol its not in 4 wheel drive.

Sent from message in a bottle

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
When you swapped the wheels and tires did you take the small washers off before you put the new ones on? Sometimes when you don't get the wheels on tight it will do this and those small washers probably not the right word for what they are cause the problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was doing it before the swap it is no better or worse now

Sent from message in a bottle

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Sounds like a typical wheel bearing. If you turn left and it gets louder you are loading the bad bearing (passenger side). If you turn right and it goes away the bad bearing (passenger side) is being unloaded. Next I'd be sure it's the front and not the rear then replace it....Front hub bearing is pretty easy to replace

It's hard to tell from an internet diagnosis. But one side and not the other, heavier/quieter on turns sounds like a wheel bearing..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah that was my initial thoughts when I first heard it but when I jacked up the jeep I didnt find any play in the bearing. I'm still leaning towards bearings though. and I'm pretty certain its the front because I can feel it a little in the steering wheel and not so much through the chassis. I hope I can get it figured out sometime this week, I hate when my shit don't work right.

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
yeah that was my initial thoughts when I first heard it but when I jacked up the jeep I didnt find any play in the bearing. I'm still leaning towards bearings though. and I'm pretty certain its the front because I can feel it a little in the steering wheel and not so much through the chassis. I hope I can get it figured out sometime this week, I hate when my shit don't work right.
You don't always feel slop in the bearing. You usually have to try pretty hard to spin it fast enough to hear it as well. I wouldn't rule it out.

Sent via paper airplane

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
i would jack the front end up get under it with a big pry bar and see whats loose, worn. i just replace a wheel hub. got rid of my bad vibes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts