JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys please take a look at what someone on another forum posted... this is a great example of how copy-cats are not the same. Below I have copy & pasted what was wrote. please also take a look at the link.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/...-400p-they-same-compressor-834408/index3.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The original question was are the MV 50 and the Viair 400 the same. Well I have both so you can tell me. I took the head off the MV50 to tap it to 1/4NPT. Since it was off I deceded to take the head off the Viair. I am no expert here but they are not the same.

Viair on the left MV50 on the right. This plate goes between the piston and the head.

This is the other side of the plate.

Underside of the head. The Viair is on the left with the hose attached.

MV50 piston

Viair piston

Cylinder bore. I have had the Viair for atleast 6 years. Aired up countless tires with it. The MV50 I have used for maybe 1 1/2 years and not very many tires. The Viair is made of a much better material. The MV50 is just steel. You can see wear marks on the walls. (I know not the best PICS)

Also when I took both these apart, all the bolts on the Viair were tight. On the MV50 they were all fairly loose.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Nice job, I've had my MV50 for about 6 years as well, still holding up after countless trips to the beach. It's on it's 2nd Jeep. That being said, I think it's time for a VAir as I'm sure it's living on borrowed time.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Awesome comparison! The MV-50 works fine for me, but if you have the money and will use the compressor often, the Vlair seems like the right choice.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Viair!

Where did you mount your compressor, I got the X'treme duty with two compressors and was outside looking where to mount them I see a spot next to the gas tank above the rear axle for one, still have one more?

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have the MV50 and it is quite a step up from the KMART toy compressors. It has done fine for me, and at $40 (when COSTCO had 'em) it was a bargain. I wish I'd bought two. You are right, you get what you pay for in quality and my next compressor will most likely be a Viair, but for the moment, my MV50 does the work.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Where did you mount your compressor, I got the X'treme duty with two compressors and was outside looking where to mount them I see a spot next to the gas tank above the rear axle for one, still have one more?
I also have the X'treme but have only installed 1 of the compressors. My plan is sell both compressors and get 1 larger capacity (400C) compressor with the proceeds.

I mounted my compressor and tank using Brett's (DOR) mounting kits from http://www.jeepswag.com/jeep_jk_on_board_air/index.html

...back to topic: can confirm VIAIR compressors are solidly built but have no experience with the MV-50s.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts