JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide between 2 different portable compressors and looking for some insight from those who have used them. I am currently running 35s but 37s someday are very possible. It will only be used a handful of times a year for the Jeep but I will use it for other things too which is why I'm not going with an on board air setup.

1st one....
Viair 440P

2nd one....
Viair 450P-A

Please let me know if you have used these or have any good information on either one.

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Def go with option 2. It is 100% duty cycle is which is something you will absolutely need to fill up tires.
That was my first choice too, but the refilling times are almost double. I do like the automatic feature though.

· R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,961 Posts
This may sound crazy, but check out the 400c, 400h, 400p model. Search for it here and see what a few people here have said. It's faster in most cases than the 450 even though it's duty cycle is lower. Do the research, you might be surprised. I have a 400h being delivered this week.

· Registered
803 Posts
That was my first choice too, but the refilling times are almost double. I do like the automatic feature though.
Go with the first one if you want to fill faster, Duty cycle at 30psi is specified at 30 Minutes and you would fill four 37X12.5" tires well below that time.

· Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Go with the first one if you want to fill faster, Duty cycle at 30psi is specified at 30 Minutes and you would fill four 37X12.5" tires well below that time.
Yep, I have this one and have never hit the duty cycle..filling up 37's from 10 to 28psi.

Good little pump.

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, I have this one and have never hit the duty cycle..filling up 37's from 10 to 28psi.

Good little pump.
This may be a silly question, but do you have to shut it down between tires and while checking your pressure? I'm just trying to figure out where the auto part comes into play on the other ones.

· Premium Member
3,725 Posts
This may be a silly question, but do you have to shut it down between tires and while checking your pressure? I'm just trying to figure out where the auto part comes into play on the other ones.
I was mistaken, I actually have the 300 series but it is very similar.

Yes, the pump has a switch on it. You connect it to your tire, turn the pump on and then turn the pump off to check the PSI. Once you hit your PSI on the tire you turn it off, and go to the next tire.

· Registered
47 Posts
This may sound crazy, but check out the 400c, 400h, 400p model. Search for it here and see what a few people here have said. It's faster in most cases than the 450 even though it's duty cycle is lower. Do the research, you might be surprised. I have a 400h being delivered this week.
I have the VIAIR ADA 400C installed, works great, and has the extra ports on the piggyback reservoir for the air lockers,,,,comes with everything, air chuck, lines, switches, bleed valve, the works,,,,no complaints ,,,P/N 40041

· Premium Member
3,725 Posts
I have the 400C installed, works great, and has the extra ports on the piggyback reservoir for the air lockers,,,,comes with everything, air chuck, lines, switches, bleed valve, the works,,,,no complaints ,,,
does it have an auto shutoff feature? when you are filling up, how do you check PSI?

· R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,961 Posts
400c = raw compressor with leader and check valve.
400h = hard mount setup with relay and power switch installed from factory along with a leader and check valve and a type M male quick coupler installed.
400p = portable compressor with sand plate installed, carrying bag, coil hose, power leads with inline fuse and alligator clips.

· Registered
47 Posts
400c = raw compressor with leader and check valve.
400h = hard mount setup with relay and power switch installed from factory along with a leader and check valve and a type M male quick coupler installed.
400p = portable compressor with sand plate installed, carrying bag, coil hose, power leads with inline fuse and alligator clips.
The ADA's come with Everything, the hole nine yards,,,,regulater, bleed valve, external resevior mt'd piggyback to compressor, fittings, airline to cab, switch to cab & to battery, brake booster mount, air hose long enough to reach all four corners,air chuck with digital readout,,,,,,

· Registered
47 Posts
does it have an auto shutoff feature? when you are filling up, how do you check PSI?
you can lock the chuck to the valve stem, but, with the 400C, it doesn't take that long to fill up, couple of minutes, if that,,,I run with 35" procomp mud T's...The pump has an auto shut off, but for the tires, I really can't be sure, as I stay with each individual tire when I'm refilling...It just doesn't take that long to fill all four up...It has a digital readout at the chuck....and as I said, I also have my frt / rear air solenoids mounted directly to the reservoir that is mounted from the factory to the pump itself...

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A lot of good info here! I am thinking the 400P would be a good choice. It has the auto feature, more cfms and it sounds like the 100% duty cycle isn't really nessecary.

· R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,961 Posts
Yeah, I didn't mention the ADA because of the price, most people probably won't spend four bills on the ADA even though it's a trick setup! I want a larger tank volume so i'll add a one or two gallon tank up front and run air chucks to the front and rear at some point. The death of my MV50 finally caused me to break down and tackle a real OBA system at last.

Edit - You have the ADA system, which is not the 400C, that is the base compressor family but the ADA has ir's own part number. When people say they have a 400c it's usually just the compressor by itself without the billet air tank and other goodies.

· Registered
47 Posts
Yeah, I didn't mention the ADA because of the price, most people probably won't spend four bills on the ADA even though it's a trick setup! I want a larger tank volume so i'll add a one or two gallon tank up front and run air chucks to the front and rear at some point. The death of my MV50 finally caused me to break down and tackle a real OBA system at last.

Edit - You have the ADA system, which is not the 400C, that is the base compressor family but the ADA has ir's own part number. When people say they have a 400c it's usually just the compressor by itself without the billet air tank and other goodies.
yeah, but it IS the same pump, just with the reservoir mounted to it,,,P/N 40041 & all the goodies,,,for the 07-11 JK's, the 12 has a slightly different brake booster bracket.... you can also get a 450C as well in the same set up...http://www.viaircorp.com/40041.html & the 450C setup http://www.viaircorp.com/45041.html

· R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,961 Posts
I was an ass hair away from buying the base ADA system since I already have the Poly bracket... I just wanted more tank volume down the road if I did want to run air tools. The ADA system is pretty frickin cool though...

· Random Dude
3,036 Posts
I have a 450C and a 2 gallon tank. Chose 450C for continuous duty cycle. Hopefully more reliable.
I can take 4 35s from 10psi to 28psi in under 15 minutes, which is fast enough for me.
My old clip-on red buzz bomb took almost 45 minutes to air up, which was nowhere near fast enough.

As some have said, you probably won't reeach the duty cycle on the hot-rod models that may air you up in under 10 minutes.
If I could go for more tank volume or a faster compressor, the compressor would be the bigger speed boost.
I'm happy with my setup, but I also have a hydraulic winch. I try not to be in a hurry while wheeling.

· Registered
1,150 Posts
I have the 440P. Airs my 37's up from 10 psi to 30 in about a minute and a half a piece. The thing plain rips and never once has issues.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.