JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm currently running 17x9 cragar soft 8s with 35" BFG MTs.

I was coming home from practice yesterday evening(PeeWee football coach) and noticed the Jeep was listing to the right. I made a turn onto the main road and she's still wanting to pull right a bit.

I pull over and notice my front/passenger side tire was low, looked like trail pressure low. Of course I'm like dammit but the stretch of road I'm on has gas stations every half mile or so. I pull into the next station and fill up in hopes of finding the leak because I visually could not see anything wrong with the tire itself. (Also I did not have my Hi-Lift, or any jack with me) Turns out the valve leaks a bit right around the base where it joins with the wheel.

The stems I'm running were just some generic dealership ones my buddy put on for me because we mounted them ourselves at his shop. I fear that my other stems may suffer the same fate soon or in the near future. If I wiggle or push on the stem at all you can hear that faint hiss. Luckily just topping it off was enough to get me home a few miles away.

Anyways, can you all recommend any particular type or brand of valve stem that can withstand the rigors of wheeling. I lean more toward the rock crawling side so anything that can hold up to some rock rash.

Thanks
Ho

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
any rubber stem is preferred for off road- no brand-name necessary. I would however (depending on where the valve stems sit on your wheels) go with a short/ stubby version. They are available at Discount tire and most other qualified shops. The short stems are less vulnerable to trail damage, especially if your stems are located further out towards the edge of the wheel. Also, always make sure to periodically check your valve cores to make sure they are tight. I had a really slow leak that I thought was coming from something in the tire. Turns out that the valve core was just loose enough to be causing the leak.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I had Discount Tires put mine one when I got my new wheels and tires. They were a standard rubber stem but I think they have a metal sheath. They've worked well for me so far and I've beat the hell out of my Jeep quite a few times since having them.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
The Stem may not be the problem

Hi all,

I'm currently running 17x9 cragar soft 8s with 35" BFG MTs.

I was coming home from practice yesterday evening(PeeWee football coach) and noticed the Jeep was listing to the right. I made a turn onto the main road and she's still wanting to pull right a bit.

I pull over and notice my front/passenger side tire was low, looked like trail pressure low. Of course I'm like dammit but the stretch of road I'm on has gas stations every half mile or so. I pull into the next station and fill up in hopes of finding the leak because I visually could not see anything wrong with the tire itself. (Also I did not have my Hi-Lift, or any jack with me) Turns out the valve leaks a bit right around the base where it joins with the wheel.

The stems I'm running were just some generic dealership ones my buddy put on for me because we mounted them ourselves at his shop. I fear that my other stems may suffer the same fate soon or in the near future. If I wiggle or push on the stem at all you can hear that faint hiss. Luckily just topping it off was enough to get me home a few miles away.

Anyways, can you all recommend any particular type or brand of valve stem that can withstand the rigors of wheeling. I lean more toward the rock crawling side so anything that can hold up to some rock rash.

Thanks
Ho
The Stem may not be the problem. Are you running the correct type of air? If your still running winter air in the summer that could be causing it! I'd try getting a can of Summer Air and using that!

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=45

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts