JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pics to come tomorrow, I really need to get a new camera asap. here is the story though

John I have your cooler and BFH :D

Ok here goes, I am going up Kodiak rock section, took me a few times to get up this one section, but made it with a little scraping of course :laughing: make it up that part, stop for little bit then I gotta move up another part, I slide on rock and slam drivers side rim HARD into rock, I make it up and now on pretty flat ground, start hearing some clacky grinding snapping type noise, RUT ROH, sounds like gears either in rear or transfer case. Ok 4 of us listen and decide its the rear, jack it up in nuetral, spin the tires, kinda noisy, ok lets open her up, we get a garbage bag and line a small cooler with it(see first line of post haha) drain the rear(I happen to have 2qts of gear oil with me) open then cover and all looks well, no broken parts, CRAP now were back to the transfer case.....we spin the wheels again and Justin(Sonic) gets under the jeep in the center by transfer case and suddenly spots the problem, what the hell is that piece of metal by the driveshaft, RUBBING on the driveshaft :laughing: turns out somehow this part of the skid that is supposed to be behind one piece of metal is now on the outside and rubbing the damn driveshaft...lmfao all that for a piece of metal rubbing the shaft, of course we orginally thought it was transfer case so I was freaking out, thinking it was going to cost a couple grand, then ok only the rear, to just a damn piece of skid that we cant even figure out how it got on the outside lmao WHEW....we tried to bend it back but that didnt work, so Kyle(Sin52) used my visegrips to clamp the 2 pieces together and it gave clearance so no more rubbing. So I did a trail rear diff oil change for nothing, well except a good story :laughing2: now learn from our day and check for driveshaft rubs before taking anything apart :shaking::laughing:

Oh and this was after we had to pull Joe's(enigmaverse) front axle after he broke it at the beginning of the ride, good thing I just had picked up a 36mm socket this week and brought it with me lol....and TACK WELD those damn u-joint caps EVERYONE dont just do one side like someone I know :laughing2:

thanks for the help today guys, that was an adventure:laughing: :beer:

· Premium Member
446 Posts
sounds like fun...
Tell me again Tim, what do i need to weld? better yet post some pics and parts... My stepbrother is a welder and he got a welder at home.
See this is why i'm not going to RC, now i'm thinking i'm gonna brake something becouse it's not welded... :thefinger:

· Registered
819 Posts
:grinpimp:Tim, I hope you lost your camera and dont have the pic of Alex (my son) poking at me with the stick.:thefinger:

Glad everyone made it out relatively okay, on the way back to Raleigh Scotts mufler fell off. He has the Gibson Dual Exhaust, but it sounds better with out a muffler

· Registered
819 Posts
sounds like fun...
Tell me again Tim, what do i need to weld? better yet post some pics and parts... My stepbrother is a welder and he got a welder at home.
See this is why i'm not going to RC, now i'm thinking i'm gonna brake something becouse it's not welded... :thefinger:
X2, details please.

· Banned
3,922 Posts
LOL Tim. Fun times playing trail trouble shooting eh?

I know the feeling on the transfer case. I was trying to find a grinding sound all over my jeep recently and finally my brother's fatherinlaw mechanic and I were determined it was the transfer case. I was in a state of (financial) mourning.

We went back over the entire jeep and started banging and tugging on things and found out an upper control arm mount was shot and was rattling - was right next to the transfer case! Never been so happy in my life - well, rarely. Thousand dollar break vs. Free from Procomp.

Glad your problem was "no big deal."

· Registered
2,404 Posts
PICS!!! I want to see the pics!! :thefinger:
Can do :D

At the outpost, And a shameless showoff of the new snorkel :D

Enigmaverse having trouble without that front axle shaft lol

Sin 52 taking care of enigmaverse's traction problem

One of the zuk's we were with high centered lol

Tkob navigating the same obstacle

· Registered
2,404 Posts
The ledges were fun on Kodak:
Tkob

Sin52

BlueTJ

FNhugeBlackJeep

FNnice"QueerBlue"Jeep

Zuk taking the crazy line

· Registered
2,404 Posts
And heres some from when Sin52 and i went a few weeks ago:
Flex (lack there of LOL) (im needing some longer shocks if you cant tell)

Sin52 doing a little better haha

These dudes followed us around all day, kind of odd....

Fun straddling ledge

Random

Ill get some videos up too

· Registered
819 Posts
LOL Tim. Fun times playing trail trouble shooting eh?

I know the feeling on the transfer case. I was trying to find a grinding sound all over my jeep recently and finally my brother's fatherinlaw mechanic and I were determined it was the transfer case. I was in a state of (financial) mourning.

We went back over the entire jeep and started banging and tugging on things and found out an upper control arm mount was shot and was rattling - was right next to the transfer case! Never been so happy in my life - well, rarely. Thousand dollar break vs. Free from Procomp.

Glad your problem was "no big deal."
Pernhaps not troubleshooting... maybe the owners manual said to change the rear end fluid at 45,000 miles and Tim being discerning jeeper that he is, he wouldnt want to void the warranty, so he chainged it. :smokin:

· Registered
2,404 Posts
Some videos

TKob in the gully on Dickie Bell

Enigmaverse trying it in 2wd LOL

GRAB THAT STRAP!

The Zuk trying to get up (he did eventually make it)

And the crazy black jeep

· Registered
2,404 Posts
Cool pics and vids.. :smokin:

And for you Enigmaverse.. Here you go.. :beer: A beer for giving it hell in 2wd..
LOL i love that one.
hes just going at it like a mofo and getting NOWHERE lol smoking the tires like crazy. Props hahah

· Registered
1,177 Posts
LOL i love that one.
hes just going at it like a mofo and getting NOWHERE lol smoking the tires like crazy. Props hahah
Looks like you were going up Dickey Bell..

· Registered
1,048 Posts
Cant say I didnt try... just a little too slick.

Here's my whole album

Here are the highlights... surprisingly little wheeling. We did, wolfs den, sawmill, slab pile, dickie bell, dutch john, kodak and I think thats about it... maybe it was the 45 min to get up kodak, then the 1.5 hours watching tkob change his dif fluid, of course my hour pulling the axle didnt help!

Excuse the poor photography... :)

Here's the pics:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.