JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the deal with the safety inspection for registering a vehicle in Utah (Salt Lake). I'm bringing my JK down from WA and I need to get the title transferred, registered etc, but all I hear is that I'll need smaller tires (they stick out past the fender flares) and mud flaps because it's lifted with 37s.

How do you guys do it here? Do you have an extra set of tires/wheels to put on when it comes time to do the safety inspection????:cwm13:

·
Registered
130 Posts
There are all sorts of requirements that the inspector can fail a vehicle for. Down here in Moab the inspectors / local LEO's are more relaxed, but the state police will write tickets for no mud flaps.

My inspector said that the state patrol will often pour water on the fender flares and if it rolls off and hits tread it fails, otherwise you are ok.

Mud flaps should be kept in the vehicle and easily attachable (Not zipties) so you can install them should you get pulled over for not having them. I will be headed up north this week, hopefully I make it there and back w/o having to install the stupid looking flaps!

Bumpers can be an issue among other things. Here is a link to the inspection requirements: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/safetyinspections/docs/2011-2012%20SI%20PLT%20Manual.pdf

Best bet is likely to find a off road shop that does inspections and go to them for your inspections.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Quacktacular. I actually was just pulled over by the UHP in Moab last weekend in my dad's truck for no mud flaps. Soooo lame. Meanwhile, people are driving their side by sides all over town...Thanks for the link. I'll have to find a 4wd place to have my safety inspection.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts