JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What red flags should I look for when shopping for a used CO2 system?? Also, I know its crazy high pressure, it won't live in my jeep, anyone have experience with these tanks in a car accident? Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Its not a high pressure system, its a low pressure system. Tanks are stamped and will not be filled unless up to date anyway.
They take a LOT to fail/fail and I mean like go booom fail. worse you will do is pop the burst disk and it make a lot of noise. I have had them overfilled and poped the burst disk due to the sun heating the tank.
Scary as fuck but nothing that will harm you.

CO2 is fine and inert, dangerous is using a SCUBA system. Ya guys swear buy iy but I have no desire for something that dangerous in my jeep :laughing:

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Co2 is a liquid. There is gas but its only the room in the tank that is not in liquid form. The liquid expands (turns to gas) when it hits atmospheric pressure. And as Doc say's, there is a stamp on the tank. I bought a used one and am very happy with it. The pressure in the tank pretty much stays the same until you are out. Only factor would be outside temp of the tank. Direct sunlight, stuff like that.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
My brand new 10lb Aluminum tank and fixed The Source 150psi regulator cost me about $160. How much are the used systems you're looking at?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So far $200 with all accessories, a full kit. I'm trying to trade a like new BFG KM2 plus $80 or something similar.

·
Premium Member
8,729 Posts
They really dont go boom anyway.. they all have a pressure relief system that will relieve the pressure well before any boom... now, this pressure relief is an event in itself.. I had my tank filled at a local welding supply company... apparently it was slightly overfilled.. i came back to the club and put the thing in my office.. about 30 mins later it the pressure valve popped and the 10lb bottle emptied in about 3 seconds... scared the living shit out of me! It was so loud I was deaf in my left ear for the rest of the day and scared me so bad it turned an internal hemorrhoid into an external one.

This is the bottle right afterward... it stayed frozen for about an hour afterward..

·
Registered
553 Posts
They really dont go boom anyway.. they all have a pressure relief system that will relieve the pressure well before any boom... now, this pressure relief is an event in itself.. I had my tank filled at a local welding supply company... apparently it was slightly overfilled.. i came back to the club and put the thing in my office.. about 30 mins later it the pressure valve popped and the 10lb bottle emptied in about 3 seconds... scared the living shit out of me! It was so loud I was deaf in my left ear for the rest of the day and scared me so bad it turned an internal hemorrhoid into an external one.

This is the bottle right afterward... it stayed frozen for about an hour afterward..

Simple little thing I use in my work all the time
Pressure = Volume * Temp

keep the volume the same, raise the temp (by bringing it into your office, or leaving in the sun) and the pressure pops the relief.

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you're buying a used tank, ask when it was last Hydro'd (Hyrdo static testing). The longer it's been the sooner you will have to have it tested. Ask if it's 3yr, 5yr or other (Time between Hydro tests). Get a good visual inspection of the tank, make note of any damage to the tank. Scratches to the paint aren't bad, but if it's a deep gouge, it could be a problem down the road.

Burst disks as stated are a great safety feature and will scare the crap out of just about anyone the first time one fails. But I have seen valves go and when the valve goes, you don't want to be between the tank and where it wants to go.

C02 is more prone to changes in tempurature than Compressed Air. But when you compress C02 or release it, it going to make the tank cold. If you get a compressed air tank, becareful to slowly fill the tank, flash fill (filling very quickly) can be very dangerous. Also NEVER oil the input side of a Compressed Air tank. Once you have oil in a compressed air tank you have a bomb. Filling the tank will atomize the oil and heat from the compressing of the gas will ignite it.

If the package that you're picking up is in good condition and the price is right, jump on it. Just try and keep the tank at a constant tempurature and point the Burst Disk relief hole away from your passengers. Having a couple of pounds of C02 dumped into you won't make for a fun ride.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Holy shit HitMoney, did the people in the club hear the disk burst??was the tank ruined after that? Do all CO2 have this burst disk? I live in Las Vegas and my garage is not air conditioned, should I keep the tank indoors? Like a hall closet? What about on the trail? Will direct sunlight affect it greatly? If it does, do the make a king size beer cozy to help keep the tank stable? Sorry if some of these questions sound dumb, but I got to ask. Thanks for the help!!

·
Premium Member
8,729 Posts
Holy shit HitMoney, did the people in the club hear the disk burst??was the tank ruined after that? Do all CO2 have this burst disk? I live in Las Vegas and my garage is not air conditioned, should I keep the tank indoors? Like a hall closet? What about on the trail? Will direct sunlight affect it greatly? If it does, do the make a king size beer cozy to help keep the tank stable? Sorry if some of these questions sound dumb, but I got to ask. Thanks for the help!!

No the bottle wasn't ruined.. I brought it back to them (they are friends) and after a good good belly laugh they replaced the burst disc and refilled it and it was all good... I'm not totaly convinced they didn't do it as a practical joke. I have had the bottle strapped to the back of my junk baking in the sun while out wheeling in the middle of August in Florida.. never had an issue. I think they just overfilled it... they don't fill alot of small bottles like that.

I have a bunch of empty 20lb'ers that are used for my soda system.. sometime I just attach my regulator to them if my tank is empty. They really aren't as dangerous or volitile as you think... we drop these things all the time... and they aren't at super high pressure... not like compressed oxygen or Nitrogen would be.. you don't want to see a Scuba tank lose all its pressure in 3 seconds.. the tank would probably end up in a neighboring zip code. When my CO2 went, it just made a lot of noise.

·
Registered
195 Posts
C02 tanks are typically about 800 PSI. A compressed air tanks usually start at 3000 PSI and go up from there.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
If it's not secured a tank will go where it wants to if the valve pops even around 800psi it will slide a bit. I had an oxygen tank with roughly 1500 psi break off the stem of the valve in my ambulance and go right through the back doors like they were paper... I had to go home and change my uniform.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What's the difference between the fixed 150psi regulator and the adjustable Powertank regulators? Will the 150psi regulator ruin my 1/2" impact? Will it flow enough gas to reseat a 35" bead?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
You were lucky that you weren't in a small office (or were you?) as you could have suffocated.

·
Registered
195 Posts
What's the difference between the fixed 150psi regulator and the adjustable Powertank regulators? Will the 150psi regulator ruin my 1/2" impact? Will it flow enough gas to reseat a 35" bead?
The fixed Regulator will only put out 150 psi. That should run your tools. An adjustable reg allows you to change the output pressure so that you can use a great selection of tools. This also allows you to set your output to a low pressure like 35psi and air up your tires to that pressure without having to keep a constant eye on them. (Still a good idea to watch the fill though).

·
Registered
923 Posts
back when i had a CO2 tank i would weight the empty tank before taking it to the fill station. Afterwards i would re-weight it again to see if its been overfilled or not.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey thanks for the help everyone. I'm gonna try and find an affordable 15lb Powertank. If not then I'll go generic 15lb tank and try to purchase a Powertank regulator. Thanks again for the wealth of knowledge.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have three that I built. I reseat Skid steer tires, tractor tires, All the jeeps tires and run the impact fine on the fixed 150 helium regulator. You can build a tank for about $125-$175 depending on size. Very easy to do.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Here is a write up I did a while back with some links on supplies.

These are the companies I have used to build tanks from in the past and have good prices.

For the regulator I use a 150# fixed. I used to have gauges but doing a lot of offroading and being one that is rough on equipment I took out the gauges. I use a cheap Harbor Freight Impact with it a lot and no problem. I use a quality hose from Lowes on it and the proper fitting can also be bought from Lowes. Here is the link to the regulator:

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/CO2-Fixed-Regulator-p-297.html

For the tanks I have use the store below. They also carry gauged regulators.

http://stores.ebay.com/BeverageFactory-Dot-Com

For mounts I am using Fir extinguisher mounts from the safety store in town. The have several model so you can find one that works for you. They run about $25. You can see a pic of one in the link below:

I think Grainger carries them too. Get a urethane hose. they can handle the cold coming out of the CO2 tank. It is best to use the CO2 in the upright position.

Let me know if you guys have any questions. I am happy to answer them and let me know how it goes.

Dan

1 - 20 of 28 Posts