JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so one of the guys who lives near me had been stalking my Jeep for a little while, wanting to ask what I had done to it - I went from stock like a block to lifted on 33's and then spring hit, so off went the hard top. Totally different look altogether. Fast forward to yesterday.

He was driving by in his "new to me" 07 X and mentioned that he had his lift install done at JD when I noticed something about his rear shocks - they were the inverse of how mine are currently installed.

So my question is this:

Rear shocks - reservoir up or reservoir down?

More importantly, does it really matter and why?

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Ok, so one of the guys who lives near me had been stalking my Jeep for a little while, wanting to ask what I had done to it - I went from stock like a block to lifted on 33's and then spring hit, so off went the hard top. Totally different look altogether. Fast forward to yesterday.

He was driving by in his "new to me" 07 X and mentioned that he had his lift install done at JD when I noticed something about his rear shocks - they were the inverse of how mine are currently installed.

So my question is this:

Rear shocks - reservoir up or reservoir down?

More importantly, does it really matter and why?

some shocks are designed to be mounted upside down. supposedly it helps with the ride or something like that. i had Rubicon express on my TJ that were mounted inverted and couldn't tell the difference.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Hydro shocks must be run body down. Most gas shocks can be ran either way. Most prefer to run gas shocks body up so there is less to get damaged by rocks and trail debris and they stay looking pretty.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
we run the shocks on our racecars that way... it was explained to me like this...

with the body on top, the shaft is moving in/out of body, meaning less weight bouncing up and down... its not much weight, but it is a little, plus less "bouncing" aroun of the body if that makes sense... and what desert dog said...

^^^ i see that explanation taking a really bad bad turn...

·
Registered
411 Posts
whenever we use struts in our designs here at work, we run them body up. we've seen that with the body down the seals dry out and cause leaks.

would this be true for automobile shocks?

·
JKO Dickhead
3,522 Posts
let me ask this while we are on the topic.... boot off ? or boot on ?...preference ?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Interesting OP question...I have TF 9550s mounted body down. Guess I must have done that per instructions. Close to 2 years ago so I don't remember exactly. Wonder what if any change I would notice if I flipped'em.

let me ask this while we are on the topic.... boot off ? or boot on ?...preference ?
Shock boot = crap collector. No boots for me unless they're on my feet :D

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I pulled the boots off at install since I will see a lot of mud and junk on the trails. Didn't want the boots just collecting it and keeping it right next to the shock shaft as it goes in and out and in and out and in and out of the body...

Damn... I think I may need to call my wife see if she's up for a nooner...

so, general consensus seems to be body up?

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nooner.....you're going to end up with more kids if you keep that up. :grinpimp::beer:
I can think of worse things. Our lack of addtional kids ain't been from a lack of practice :grinpimp:

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Interesting OP question...I have TF 9550s mounted body down. Guess I must have done that per instructions. Close to 2 years ago so I don't remember exactly. Wonder what if any change I would notice if I flipped'em.
Read post #5 in this thread. Those are hydro shocks, must run body down to prevent fluid leakage.

I prefer boot off. I like to inspect my shocks after I wheel for bent shafts and leakage - which isn't possible with the boot on there. And they look totally 80s.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I have my 5150s installed that way in the rear.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
And they look totally 80s.
^^^ This :D

I don't like shock boots for the all the reasons stated. However, there are times they may be worth using. If your vehicle is exposed to salt (beach or road salt) on a regular basis it can pit the shafts and cause seal failure. Body up with a boot fitted is better for obvious reasons.

If you do run boots do check that they are not full of junk every so often.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts