JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '16 jku auto with 3.21 gears. Im looking into getting a 2 inch rancho sport lift with either:

Duratrac 295/70r17 (33.5x11.6 ~ 58lb)

OR

Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/75r17 (33.9x11.26 ~ 65lb)

I like the look of the ridge grapplers but I'm concerned that they are too heavy and too tall for my gears. I think the 295's will stick too far out the fenders with 4.5 bs and fail inspection. Gear swap is out of the picture for any time soon, anyone running these setups or have opinions? thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m running the bfg 34/10.5/17 mounted height and weight 32.5inch and 56 lbs. jku sport ‘16 3.21 with rancho 2 inch sport lift. Great daily driver however with that larger tire and weight you will encounter some sluggishness and low power driving up bigger hills or when under load, mpg will take a hit. At least 4.10 is recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m running the bfg 34/10.5/17 mounted height and weight 32.5inch and 56 lbs. jku sport ‘16 3.21 with rancho 2 inch sport lift. Great daily driver however with that larger tire and weight you will encounter some sluggishness and low power driving up bigger hills or when under load, mpg will take a hit. At least 4.10 is recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you have a picture?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have 35s on my wrangler. its a 2 door manual but same gears. Its a dog but its doable. Automatic unlimited? I wouldn't go anywhere near that tire size then.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I had 3.21s and when I swapped out my tires I went to 245 75 16s. It was driveable but going with any bigger tire was not in the cards. Bigger tires would have made driveability miserable. Fast forward - regeared to 4.11s and now I have stock Rubi tires which are 32s and the combo is just right. You're talking about going to bigger tires then that with 3.21s..... Bad idea.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just put on 285/75 16's on my 15 with 3:21's I am not noticing a huge power hit Mileage dropped by about 1MPG. I have heavier JKU springs in so a little of lift.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I daily a 2015 JKU with 35's and 3.21s and auto transmission. It's not half as bad as people say it is. I wheel it about once a month and it performs fine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I daily a 2015 JKU with 35's and 3.21s and auto transmission. It's not half as bad as people say it is. I wheel it about once a month and it performs fine.
Not half as bad? That is a great advertisement to do it ;)

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
35’s and 3:21. A perfect example of people dressing up a Jeep for form over function. Goes against Jeep Feng Shui. That setup won’t blow dust off of the road. I would buy a Jeep with those gears only as a base with the intent of replacing them and modding the rest.:shitstorm:

·
Registered
646 Posts
305/70r16 Irok ND with 3.6L, auto, and. 3.21... Fine on the street and good with 4low off road. Then same tires has 4.88s installed for about a month before putting on the 37x14.00-17 Irok

·
Registered
275 Posts
Not half as bad? That is a great advertisement to do it ;)
I'm not saying it's gonna be the dream setup, but you can live with it for a while until you re-gear.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
You'd be amazed with what you can do with 33s....for a hell of a lot cheaper than a re-gear!
I've wheeled for quite a few years and will disagree with you here: a well chosen line with deeper gears will get you a lot further then a well chosen line with bigger tires. The latter will often require more skinny pedal application which equals higher likelyhood of breakage.....

Now I will admit that the jeep will look a lot better with bigger tires then deeper gears BUT if it is about looks then... well.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts