JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 4" Superlift atm and it's been great. Only thing is, I need more height. My breakover kills me on alot of the obstacles I want to try, just a little more and I could slide myself over I know it :p

So...

I am thinking about getting a set of JKS adjustable arms, poly 4.5" springs, new brake lines (needed to do this anyway) and some new shocks

or

bite the bullet and get a 4.5" or 6" long arm (not that I think I need a long arm, but if I'm spending the money...)

I'll probably never go taller than 37's (just don't see myself having the money to do D60's anytime soon and this is soon to be a DD) so 6" may be overkill.

I'd prefer to do the cheaper upgrade to my existing lift and I think the poly 4.5" springs would give me enough (Phil's looked good) I think.

thoughts?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I bet 37" would give you the extra inch needed but it probablly get's minimized when you air down. Doesn't hte 4" kit come with adjustable arms already? if so I'm not sure you'd need them.

Before I answer any further though what is specifically getting caught up on the underside. Got a pick or two? 1/2" lift doesn't seem like it's the problem.

Do you hit the diff cover allot? Maybe it's the approach angles that is playing onto the "Breakover" hangup.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem is a Superlift 4" is on the south side of 4" and a Teraflex 4.5" is on the north side so I'd net at least an inch in lift. Same if I went with the Poly 4.5" springs (I've read the Poly springs are more than 4.5" also).

I have the adjustable lower front arms only (had to get rid of the cam bolt crap). I just worry that the Rockrunner arms won't adjust out as far as the JKS will and as I was buying the other 3, may as well get the set :p

I scrape alot on the bottom (diff's and approach are fine), I'd hate to think what the bottom of my Unlimited would look like if I didn't have the Trek's System installed :p

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Having the same issue with my ProComp lift...is on the low side of 4" as well. Looking to do the same upgrade you mentioned in your first post....the 4.5" Poly springs and some adjustable control arms.

Just cut my fenders so I have plenty of clearance for whatever tires I wish, just need to upgrade the driveshafts and regear.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Sounds like unloading the existing lift and upgrading the lift to the 4 1/2" lift system would be a good bet. Your getting rid of the springs and the arms of your existing lift and getting Brake lines, Arms, springs, shocks. Most complete kits would include all of these items and then also adjustable track bars which I'm sure you could sell easy enough. I know I need both front and rear.

The least expensive route would be to get a few spacers for the springs but I would say just get a complete system and part out the existing one. I'd go 4.5 or 5" kit if 4 is giving you issues. I like the Clayton system but they are accurate on the spring size. 4.5" is a true 4.5" spring. I also like the poly systems.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Well....I had 4 Wheel Parts take a look and confirm my suspicions on the coils. As a company, their prices are kind of high, but my local place does really good service and, as a factory geek, I enjoy having a warranty.

They agreed the coils had settled and that the angle is odd (though I have to say...the ride is still great). They offered to replace them under warranty if I wanted to go that route. I think I will for now....at least until I get everything else I need to do done. Then I can go bigger!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
you are seeing what i've noticed for a while....superlift, rancho and fulltraction are the three companies that don't really give you as much lift as they advertise. a fulltraction 3" isn't really enough for 35's - you really need the 4". same for the other two.

if funds will allow, you are probably best off just ditching the whole superlift and going with another company - like poly or rockkrawler. clayton is good too.

if you go with poly or rockkrawler (maybe clayton as well) you could go with a 3.5" RK or 4" poly lift while you have 35's, then later, when you decide to go to 37's, you can just get longer springs and possibly longer shocks.

the 4.5" poly lift and the 5.5" RK lifts is really too much for 35's. the 4.5" poly is just slightly too much for 35's, but there are many out there that run it. a 5.5" RK lift is way too much for 35's.

it seems that most people with the 4.5" poly lift also use some spacers if they run 37's.

the other option is to just get longer springs, but you will really have to consider upper control arms, track bars, brake lines, and shocks (as you already mentioned!). by the time you get all those, you are pretty much looking at an entire kit anyway.

·
Openly Hostile
6,939 Posts
If you are only going to replace one set of arms in the front, get lowers not uppers. If you adjust your caster with the upper arms you are going to be making them shorter....when you add more caster with the lowers you make the arms longer.

Also, take a look at the Currie arms before you make your decision. You aren't going to find a short arm that will articulate more than the Currie arms. :beer:

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
If you are only going to replace one set of arms in the front, get lowers not uppers.
he already has adjustable lowers.

Also, take a look at the Currie arms before you make your decision. You aren't going to find a short arm that will articulate more than the Currie arms.
except for the RK lift with the tri-link rear.:grinpimp:

but that is quite a bit more expensive and a much more invasive install:beer:

edit:
don't take that as me knocking the currie lift in any way at all, cuz i'm not!:beer::beer::smokin:

·
Openly Hostile
6,939 Posts
he already has adjustable lowers.

except for the RK lift with the tri-link rear.:grinpimp:

but that is quite a bit more expensive and a much more invasive install:beer:
Ah, I missed that he had lowers already. :beer:

I haven't had the chance to see the RK tri-link in action (in person).

I keep looking at the stretch kit RK makes, that might make its way on my heep in the future.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah I have the Superlift Rockrunner Front Lower's already... wouldn't the Rockrunners or JKS (both swivels) offer more articulation than the Johny Joints on the Currie?

I've been mulling a Teraflex 6" Long Arm but that would kill my entire budget (with install). I really have been happy with the performance of the Superlift, just wish it had a little more.

·
Registered
899 Posts
With as much lift as your talking about getting, I don't see why you don't look more into long arms.

I had a TeraFlex 4" short arm system that actually netted almost 5.5" and eventually settled to just under 5" over a years time and weight/armor added. The arms were at an angle such that when ever the axle drooped it traveled front to rear/rear to front quite a bit when cycling.

I now have the TeraFlex 6" long arm system and I can't rave enough about it. It handles great on the road and off.

I just recently returned from SoCal for the thanksgiving weekend and traveled just over 2000 miles (1800 +/- highway). This trip included a jaunt to Big Bear Lake area to run the trails Gold Mountain (I think that was the first trail) and John Bull. And on the return trip home we stopped by Kanab, Utah and played in Hog Canyon for a bit. The suspension was awesome all the way around. It's a good feeling to have this kind of confidence in your suspension.

I am not saying that you need to go out and get the TF long arm system, but I would suggest looking more into a long arm setup wether it is TF, RE, PP and/or whoever else makes them. At anything near 5" or higher in lift, I would say the difference in ride and handling is huge.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
yeah I have the Superlift Rockrunner Front Lower's already... wouldn't the Rockrunners or JKS (both swivels) offer more articulation than the Johny Joints on the Currie?
nope. they all have the same style bushing at the body mount end and some type of flex joint at the axle end.

i know currie actually uses an actual johnny joint at the axle end, which has advantages over some of the others. not sure which type of joint is at the axle end of the superlift or jks arms (whether its a johnny, or a heim, or some other variation).

not sure which material those all use for the bushings at the frame end. i would recommend ones that have rubber bushings (which i think currie has, as does rockkrawler and, poly performance i believe), instead of poly bushings though.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
this is a pic of the JKS (same style as Superlift Rockrunner's, I just couldn't find a pic of those).

link to JKS website with more details.

I dunno enough about this stuff yet, all my off-road time in the past is on bikes, 3-wheels and baja bugs :) only been doing the Jeep thing about 8 months :p

·
Openly Hostile
6,939 Posts
Currie arms have johnny joints on both ends (except the axle side of the front uppers of course). I can tell you that I have 30" long shocks and the Currie arms are not the limiting factor - the shocks are. I'm actually planning on stepping up to some 12" travel shocks that are 33" long to see how much flex I can coax out of them.

Honestly, I have never seen the JKS arms before just now. How the heck does it rotate without changing the length of itself?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Currie arms have johnny joints on both ends (except the axle side of the front uppers of course). I can tell you that I have 30" long shocks and the Currie arms are not the limiting factor - the shocks are. I'm actually planning on stepping up to some 12" travel shocks that are 33" long to see how much flex I can coax out of them.

Honestly, I have never seen the JKS arms before just now. How the heck does it rotate without changing the length of itself?
It does change a little bit, that's also how you adjust them. I'm sure they've made some improvements, but it's essentially the same idea that the original Teraflex Flexarms used--and while it seems OK on paper, there are some wear issues over time. I'm not a fan of that design. JKS, Tuff Country, and I think both Superlift and Skyjacker still offer that style. (I might be wrong on the last two....)

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
It does change a little bit, that's also how you adjust them. I'm sure they've made some improvements, but it's essentially the same idea that the original Teraflex Flexarms used--and while it seems OK on paper, there are some wear issues over time. I'm not a fan of that design. JKS, Tuff Country, and I think both Superlift and Skyjacker still offer that style. (I might be wrong on the last two....)
That should be obvious :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.