JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to upgrade the disk brakes on my JK. Couple specs for consideration: D44 axels, 5:38 gears, automatic, 38X14.5 MTR's. I am looking for a brake that can handle steep inclines and declines. I dont drive on the freeway that much, mostly around town.

What aftermarket brakes are you using? What's a good one to use and why?

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Rebel Off Road rear double drilled & slotted rotors.

They work well.

Will do them on the fronts soon.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,651 Posts
Definitely check out the Rebel Offroad brake systems.

The people using them say that they feel an increase in braking power of up to 40%. They are a complete bolt on replacement and will help your brake system stay 150 to 200 degrees cooler than factory.

Besides that, we sell em! LOL!

Let us know if you have any questions!

Marcus

·
Registered
601 Posts
Another vote for the Rebel systems. My rear brakes are about crapped out and I'm planning to give Marcus a call this coming week to place an order :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
I bought the Teraflex big brake kit w/the new master cylinder. The calipers are dual piston and really make a difference. Only rub is the pedal feel ..... it sucks! I expected when you push the pedal there would be a firm progressive feel. NOT the case. Definitely stops hard, just not the pedal feel I would expect. If you are stopped and holding down the pedal, you can push it to the floor, again not what I expected. Otherwise on 37's the brakes will put you through the windshield if you stab the pedal at 30 mph.
:beer:

·
Registered
900 Posts
I bought the Teraflex big brake kit w/the new master cylinder. The calipers are dual piston and really make a difference. Only rub is the pedal feel ..... it sucks! I expected when you push the pedal there would be a firm progressive feel. NOT the case. Definitely stops hard, just not the pedal feel I would expect. If you are stopped and holding down the pedal, you can push it to the floor, again not what I expected. Otherwise on 37's the brakes will put you through the windshield if you stab the pedal at 30 mph.
I was going to go with Teraflex new master cylinder. So
the pedal feel is soft?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Did u upgrade the master cylinder? I had the soft pedal until I upgraded the master and now it feels wonderful.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Did u upgrade the master cylinder? I had the soft pedal until I upgraded the master and now it feels wonderful.
Yes I did the master cylinder upgrade. I have bled it 3 times now because I was thinking it felt like air in the line. The last two times zero bubbles, so unless there is air trapped in the caliper somewhere I think I have done everything I can. I guess you get used to it, and it does stop like a mother F'er, actually causes the front end to dive, not bad, but it does dive.

I bought new pads for the back, but I'm going to put in new rotors at the same time and they haven't got here yet.:beer:

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
I would like to upgrade the disk brakes on my JK. Couple specs for consideration: D44 axels, 5:38 gears, automatic, 38X14.5 MTR's. I am looking for a brake that can handle steep inclines and declines. I dont drive on the freeway that much, mostly around town.

What aftermarket brakes are you using? What's a good one to use and why?
Please tell me you found a place to get those 38" MT/R's now. I figure you've had them for a while, but if not and you know where I can get them... please tell...

·
Vendor
2,326 Posts
Another vote here for the TeraFlex kit. The upgrade Master helps with any brake upgrade! It is a great feeling knowing that when you need to stop fast that you will have the power to make that happen! Its not like we are trying to stop a little Honda here...

Let us know if you have any questions about the TF setup. We are happy to help!

-Jason

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Please tell me you found a place to get those 38" MT/R's now. I figure you've had them for a while, but if not and you know where I can get them... please tell...
The best price I found was on Tirebuyer.com, however when I had Teraflex do the suspension lift, I had them do the tires. They matched the price online.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Definitely check out the Rebel Offroad brake systems.

The people using them say that they feel an increase in braking power of up to 40%. They are a complete bolt on replacement and will help your brake system stay 150 to 200 degrees cooler than factory.

Marcus

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My upgrade to REBEL at all four corners + Crown Brake Lines + quality fluid
was suggested by forum members over a year ago........... I COULD NOT BE MORE HAPPY WITH THE PERFORMANCE

1 - 14 of 14 Posts