JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put Corbeau Baja XP seats in my JK (2008 2DR). My factory seats were equipped with air bags. Obviously I don't have the air bags any more with the Corbeau setup. As such, my air bag idiot light is always on on the dash.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to properly setup (not hack) the air bag circuits so the air bag light does not light up the instrument panel? The idea is to make my Jeep's computer believe the air bags are there. I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Read the resistance across the airbag plug on the old seats, you will probably need to jump the terminals with this resistance and it should go off I would think. Others with more experience may have more info.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
There should just be weight sensors in the factory seat that tells the computer when to turn the air bags on/off say for a child in the front passenger seat. I believe others have just used a jumper wire/terminal across the the plug that would normally be plugged into the bottom of the seat. You should just need to complete the circuit, turning the air bag on all the time.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
i used the corbeau seat brackets. moded the pass side to use the 4 weight sensors that came on mine. i think later ones used a pad in the seat. if yours has the pad in the seat, you can pull the upholstery off and then put that pad in your seat. mine has the weight sensors at each corner. i transfered all seat hard hardware to the corbeaus i still have an airbag light. i've said "screw it".

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
easy fix is add weight, its around 6lbs or so. I zip tied ankle weights under the seat for a while and then I just installed an AC inverter there.
solved 2 problems.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't use the Corbeau seat mounts, and as such, I don't have any weight sensors. Does anyone know of a way to make the air bag light turn off by modding the electrical circuit?

Per rob4607's recommendation, I will hook up an ohmeter to the factory seats to see what type of load the seats normally provided. I can them make a trip to Radio Shack, rig up a dummy load circuit, and attach it to the factory seat air bag circuit. ...Unless this is the wrong way to go about fixing the problem.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
just to verify: You do not have what look like little silver cubes at the 4 corners of the factory seat base? (passenger side only)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Unless they are microscopic, nope...

Does that mean I won't be able to disable the idiot light without going behind the dash and removing the bulb?
Check with some of the air bag companies(re-builders) on the internet and you may find the information you're looking for. I'm sure it can be done.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Unless they are microscopic, nope...

Does that mean I won't be able to disable the idiot light without going behind the dash and removing the bulb?
I assume you had to unplug something from the passenger seat when you took it out correct? The load sensor in the should be nothing more than a pressure switch unless I am mistaken. If that is true, then all it should do is open/close the circuit and tell the ECM that there's a passenger in the seat. Can you try making a jumper between the two wires to close the circuit and see if that turns off the light? Someone can correct me if I'm way off here but I don't see why that wouldn't work.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
as stated. you unplugged SOMETHING from that passenger seat. whatever you unplugged, there is going to be a pressure sensor at a minimum.

my '07 had 4 weight sensors, the latch cable, a junction block and a relay looking thing... which is supposed to be the sensor that indicates how far forward or back the seat is.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So it's been a long delay (ridiculous long), but this project is on my to do list for tomorrow. If I am able to get around to it, I'll post up my results.

Does anyone have a circuit diagram for the airbag circuit, or know where I can get one? I have a Haynes manual... May check that out later tonight to see if its in there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever figure out the passenger 4 sensors to get the airbag light off. Changed my seats light goes off then on. Only shows 1 code for occupancy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts