JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've got a "go-fast" build going on right now.

I'm swapping out my solid axle up front for a TTB setup with custom steering. For the steering I'm planning on running two pitman arms at each frame rail with a tie rod running parallel to the ground between them (so three total tie rods). Think of a custom beefed up chevy idler arm setup. Running a custom idler setup like this, I can place my tabs for each tie rod going to the wheels exactly where they need to be for long travel bump steer free travel. Kind of like my crude text drawing below where the right hand "x" would be the pivot for the PS beam and the left "x" would be the DS pivot.

l l
[]–––––––––––––[]
x x

My conundrum at this point is the height of the idler rod. I'm not doing a "cut & turn" which is common on these TTBs to correct steering geometry with a lift since I'm custom fabbing my pivot points for the beams and will place them in a close to ideal position. To prevent bump steer, I need to place my tie rod pivot points almost in line with the beam pivots.

My initial thought was some drop pitman arms (also commonly used by the desert guys with TTBs) but I don't want to put too much strain on my sector shaft. Since there will be no angle on the tie rod actually bolted to the pitman arm and since it will be supported on both ends, should I be ok to run a pretty extreme drop?

l l
l l
[]–––––––––––––[]
x x

At this point I don't even know how much of a drop Ill need, but I know Ill definitely need some.

If the general consensus is no, don't do this, I could always try and drop my steering box some as well to try and split the difference between a more mild set of pitman arms and the height of the box itself.

Thoughts?

*EDIT My little text drawings aren't rendering in html how they do in the editor, but hopefully you get the idea.

·
Random Dude
3,041 Posts
No idea if this helps you, but you Autofab uses a vertical idler on their long-travel TIB setup:
F142675531.jpg

Maybe by chance a JKO member would have long-travel TTB experience, but that's something I'd research on Pirate or RaceDezert :dunno:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Bene playing with TTB for years on a ranger, thought about doing a solid Axle under it but never got around to it. I run a James Duff 5.5 stage 3 under a 97 Splash. the following link will cover most of your questions What I ended up doing for steering was a super lift super runner. it uses a cross over and has fixed the manners of the thing on the road.
https://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/wheels_and_brakes/steering-tech-a-discussion-about-ttb-steering-and-alignment/

names super lift steering correctly had swamp runner it is actually super runner steering.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Pirate 4x4 Hardcore section. If you dare....

90% of the people on here pay for oil changes ;-)

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions guys and I am pretty regular on those forums as well. Posted here since it was a question more related to JK sector shaft strength and pitman arm angles.

I've decided to just relocate my box into the most ideal position as possible while running the minimum amount of drop on the pitman arm, none if possible. I can angle the box as well if needed.

A broken sector shaft is not something Ill want to deal with anytime soon.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Pirate 4x4 Hardcore section. If you dare....

90% of the people on here pay for oil changes ;-)
Everyone pays for oil changes, numbskull. :thefinger:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts