JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have this, any gains, and if so how much? Is it worth the price? I am currently running a cat back exhaust, and an AEM Intake and thinking about a throttle spacer. What do you think, good idea or a waste of money.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I have the Unichip. It was expensive compared to other chips available. I don't think that the gains are felt from the seat of your pants. Same goes for any one of the power upgrade mods (CAI, TB spacer, exhaust) but with all combined the power increase is noticable at times but not in any huge way.

If I had to do it all over again, I would still get all of the power upgrades that I have but later in the build.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
Here is my opinon about chips and programmers. MOst of the power made has to do with leaning out your engine through "trickery". Most chips trick the computer into thinking it is seeing different data then is really there and leans out the AFR's. Vehicles from the factory normally run on the rich side of things. This is a saftey feature. The leaner you run the more likley you are to experience detonation but the more HP you make and you also get a little better mpg. This is not the only thing they change but is one of the most commmon. Some also can alter Timing tables, shift points, etc.

Personally, I don't like make changes to AFR's "blind". I only would really want to make thoise kind of changes if I am doing them myself and had a away to monitor those changes like a wide band O2 sensor.

That is not to say they are unsage. I think you can use these with no worries. There is just a lot of other cave man tuning you can do for the money. For example bolt ons and other engine "performance" upgrades.

So to answer your question, lol, I do not think it is a waste of money, there is performance gains, it wikll not change it into a monster but shouldbe noticable and change overall performance to "feel" better. Personnaly. I would spend the money on bolt ons or if you have the cash, a wide band O2 sensor would be a nice addition to a mod like that.

Anyway, these are just my opinions on 'em. Lots of people here love the chips.

Good luck and let us know how you liked it if you get one! :beer:

·
Registered
541 Posts
The nice thing about the Unichips is that they've dyno tuned every configuration that they have, so there are alot of maps available that will range close to your modifications.

Of course, nothing is as good as having it specifically tuned to the vehicle, but you can do that with a Unichip as well by any of their authorized tuners.

Take a look at this URL on my site, and look at the drop down of how many different configurations are available.

http://www.rjroffroad.com/unichip-p...p-wrangler-jk-offroad-c-563-p-1-pr-17288.html

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
JR,

Just curious, how often can you take the unichip in for a custom tune and is there a charge each time you do?

thanks.
Scott

·
Registered
541 Posts
JR,

Just curious, how often can you take the unichip in for a custom tune and is there a charge each time you do?

thanks.
Scott
You're hiring the services of a tuner (these are private shops offering the service, just like authorized dealers) so most likely you're paying an hourly rate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all, what I guess I'm looking for is, I pull a trailer that hauls either a 50" cut ZTR or a 800 Polaris Quad 4x4. That being said I lose about 4 mpg when pulling the loaded trailer. It down shifts on the slightest grades. And I'm just trying to avoid that without shifting to a lower gear. I have a automatic tranny also. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
278 Posts
anyone know of a chip or module that changes just shift points?
my heep shifts into overdrive way too soon and it takes a whole lot of floorin' to get it to downshift again. it feels like its lugging the engine so bad that im loosing milage.
anyone else have this problem?
sorry for the hijack

·
Registered
573 Posts
anyone know of a chip or module that changes just shift points?
my heep shifts into overdrive way too soon and it takes a whole lot of floorin' to get it to downshift again. it feels like its lugging the engine so bad that im loosing milage.
anyone else have this problem?
sorry for the hijack
hehehehehehohohohahahah :thefinger: You are so screwed. Mine does the same thing. I posted about it on another JKBOAD. See: http://forum.jkboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=6265&start=16

I have the UNICHIP which HESCO has tried over and over to correct a niggling issue with my supercharger and the engine computer. They have mostly corrected performance and such....but transmission shift points are not one of them.

So, good luck! And if I ever find someone who knows the answer to this poor transmission program I'll post it here. And I hope if you find one you do the same.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey jocrazyO, did you see any gains in power after adding the performance chip though?

·
Registered
573 Posts
I can't tell if there were any performance gains with the chip or not. The Unichip was installed at the same time with my supercharger so separating one from the other is not possible. What I did get was 70HP and 40lb-ft of torque. Those were gains I could feel. (Improvements on the manual are greater. The auto sucks horsepower like a hoah.)

The upside on the Unichip is I purchased the download cable with mine so when HESCO has a new program, they email it to me and its a 5 minute job to upload it. It takes longer for me to pull/reinstall the device than to upload the program.

If you want to do your own unichip programming, the manufacturer will sell you the software to do so for ~$6000. :D Not proud of their stuff are they?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah pulling my trailor sucks, I thinkI'm adding the chip as well as the spacer real soon. Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts