JKOwners Forum banner

Blown up a rear 60 in a JK?

• Yes I blew up a Currie RockJock rear 60 ring and pinion in a JK

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Yes I blew up a Dynatrac rear 60 ring and pinion in a JK

• Yes I blew up a Solidaxle rear 60 ring and pinion in a JK

• I have a 60 in my JK but have not blown it up, yet...

Votes: 24 75.0%
  • I have a low pinion 60 because a HP 60 in the rear of a JK is dumb

Votes: 5 15.6%
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have one of the very first set of RockJock 60's in my JK. I had them delivered in early 2008. I just blew up my ring and pinion for the 3rd time and I am sick of it! :pissed:

I called Currie this afternoon and spoke with "Chris". I was calling to look for solutions instead I get insulted by Chris asking if I was a "rear end designer". Seriously I spent over $10,000 with Currie. Could it be a possibility that I truly do have a defective early prototype unit? When I received the rear end unit gear oil was spitting out of the vent tube. I spoke with Currie (owner John) a few times and we moved the vent tube to another location if I remember correctly. Nevertheless when I call looking for solutions I don't appreciate getting asked if I am a "rear end designer" and "good luck with my issues".

I do have a hemi but I blew up my first 60 with the v6. Who else has blew up a 60 ring and pinion in a JK?

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
Yea, Larry....but I wanted to see if maybe we could get some tech aspect into this thread before it became a true DL case.

Mainly I felt like Woody was looking to get some feedback to resolve...rather than a typical lynch.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "blew up", but if it has failed the same way three times, the first being the Currie build I assume, you'd have to wonder if the center section is improperly machined. OTOH, the setup may be questionable, no way to know without a teardown & some precise measurements. As a customer service guy I'd say Currie's got the wrong person on the phone dealing with their customers. Not suggesting that you did, but even if you behaved like an ass hat with him on the phone he needs to be trained enough to fade the heat and keep it positive.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is all done to help us make better decisions when buying products, right? Two years from today somebody is doing a search on RockJock 60 perhaps this can help aid in their purchasing decision, bad or good.

FYI - Someone from Currie has already responded to me. I will update this thread as things materialize. I really want to be happy with my 60's again... and make this tread helpful from a technical perspective.

Good to be back!

·
Registered
244 Posts
What keeps breaking in the R&P? sounds like it is more of a oiling or drive line issue vers the housing itself? check the pinion bore make sure it's squared up being one of the first sets something might be off a little bit? I've had no problems with Currie over the years dealing with them in person not over the phone! some people just have bad phone days LOL This is one of those things where you might be better off sending them pics or the part's showing them in person what is happening to your R&P if you are expecting them to do anything about it?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Other than taking months to get my axles, after the guy who took my order told me they had them sitting in stock ready to ship, I have received nothing but great quality products from Currie. I beat on those axles very hard and they have taken the abuse.

I also had a heat issue with my rear after I got it. They quickly corrected that over the phone by telling me to take the synthetic out ASAP. Presto, problem solved.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What keeps breaking in the R&P? sounds like it is more of a oiling or drive line issue vers the housing itself? check the pinion bore make sure it's squared up being one of the first sets something might be off a little bit? I've had no problems with Currie over the years dealing with them in person not over the phone! some people just have bad phone days LOL This is one of those things where you might be better off sending them pics or the part's showing them in person what is happening to your R&P if you are expecting them to do anything about it?
I am not a "rear end designer" lol :shaking: so I have no idea what is going wrong. But seriously where do I go from here? Do we all need to budget a new ring and pinion for $800 each year or what? Do others have the same issue with :nuke: up these rear ends? IMHO something is wrong and I want it addressed.

I am actually a pretty reasonable person but having already spent $1600 on rear end repairs and the thought of having to spend another $800 is :pissed:

My RockJock 60 front end has held up pretty good. I had to replace a unit bearing and upper and lower ball joints but that was after 40,000 or so miles...

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
I have pounded on my RJ 60's harder than the average JK Owner would outside of the Hammers crew.... I have bent some shafts, and mangled up lower shock mounts but that is about the extent of what I have been able to destroy.

Though, while replacing a set of rear bent shafts I noticed a decent sized chip on the face of the pinion. Have no clue how it happened as the chip was not on a contact surface... Currie replaced the Motive R&P with a new set. Since then I haven't had any issues with the R&P and have inspected it a few times since.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
If Iwould spend. 10K on axles.... id expect then to be bulletproof and designed to not have issues... ever! If I were in your shoes.... id start raising hell. Bad reviews everywhere until the issue is resolved and the $1600 is reimbursed.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
If Iwould spend. 10K on axles.... id expect then to be bulletproof and designed to not have issues... ever! If I were in your shoes.... id start raising hell. Bad reviews everywhere until the issue is resolved and the $1600 is reimbursed.
The only problem I have with that is, according to the poll, and also from reading JK specific and regular Jeep and off road forums for the past 4 to 5 years this is the first I've seen of a RJ60 that keeps puking gears out of a JK. There are alot of variables here... the Hemi being one, who is setting up the gears, what brand gears, what kind of driving, etc.. Possible that his housing is a bit tweaked.. ? Possible... but I don't think it is a "Design Flaw" throughout the RJ's.

I am not saying that the OP doesn't have something to gripe about with his CS experience and the issue he is having with the R&P, but I'm not about to jump on the bandwagon over this one reported case. I feel pretty confident that his issues are being delt with by the right person now.

BTW.. 10k doesnt buy you "Bullet Proof" axles... I don't think they even exist.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you are running super low gearing with a hemi then I would not be surprised. What ratio are you running, it was never mentioned. Also, what hemi are you running? Is the same person doing the regear? Any pics of the pattern on the ring? I highly doubt it is something wrong with the axle per se but install error, to much torque with driver error, or something of that nature.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The only problem I have with that is, according to the poll, and also from reading JK specific and regular Jeep and off road forums for the past 4 to 5 years this is the first I've seen of a RJ60 that keeps puking gears out of a JK. There are alot of variables here... the Hemi being one, who is setting up the gears, what brand gears, what kind of driving, etc.. Possible that his housing is a bit tweaked.. ? Possible... but I don't think it is a "Design Flaw" throughout the RJ's.

I am not saying that the OP doesn't have something to gripe about with his CS experience and the issue he is having with the R&P, but I'm not about to jump on the bandwagon over this one reported case. I feel pretty confident that his issues are being delt with by the right person now.

BTW.. 10k doesnt buy you "Bullet Proof" axles... I don't think they even exist.
Point taken. I was assuming the first gears where installed by currie. I've had issues with parts I bought back in 08 because they were the first version parts. Always had vendors solve the issue right away.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
If you are running super low gearing with a hemi then I would not be surprised. What ratio are you running, it was never mentioned. Also, what hemi are you running? Is the same person doing the regear? Any pics of the pattern on the ring? I highly doubt it is something wrong with the axle per se but install error, to much torque with driver error, or something of that nature.
His sig says 5.38

·
Banned
15,533 Posts
Wow, if I spent 10K on something that didn't work right, I'd be renting a flatbed, taking a week off work and heading out to their home base to discuss face to face. That's unacceptable.

And they should fire the retard on the phone. Being able to take heat from a pissed off client who already spent at least 11,600 at your company is step one for the person who answers your phones. If he can't handle that, get a new phonetard. They're cheap for a reason.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Having a hemi obviously doesn't help the situation. I should put the V6 back in :thefinger: Except I blew up my first R&P with the V6!

Sean as RiverCity Differential (Gearman) sets up my gears with parts from west coast differential. He has been doing gears for a long long time.

·
Registered
335 Posts
More or less I'd agree with Dan...who knows though mabe the guy was having a bad day.

Its a legitimate gripe for sure. I'd be fumin mad. If the OP's sig is current, regardless of the size Hemi, he's only running 37's....There should not be an issue.

Install error would be my first guess, OP, has the same person installed the R&P each time?

EDIT, just saw your last post.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For what it is worth Chris did apologize for his comments but
he was still an ass. I don't think he should be fired or anything, maybe send him to customer service training... :thefinger:

My hemi does run pretty strong for a 5.7 I run a custom computer program after I tried the Burnsville 6.1 program, & the AEV 5.7 program.

The RJ should hold up. The last R&P was in Jan and I unfortunately did not wheel all summer (bought a new house). So we are talking 100% on-road miles...

More or less I'd agree with Dan...who knows though mabe the guy was having a bad day.

Its a legitimate gripe for sure. I'd be fumin mad. If the OP's sig is current, regardless of the size Hemi, he's only running 37's....There should not be an issue.

Install error would be my first guess, OP, has the same person installed the R&P each time?

EDIT, just saw your last post.

·
Registered
335 Posts
For what it is worth Chris did apologize for his comments but
he was still an ass. I don't think he should be fired or anything, maybe send him to customer service training... :thefinger:

My hemi does run pretty strong for a 5.7 I run a custom computer program after I tried the Burnsville 6.1 program, & the AEV 5.7 program.

The RJ should hold up. The last R&P was in Jan and I unfortunately did not wheel all summer (bought a new house). So we are talking 100% on-road miles...
Well then. If its happened 3 times its going to happen again, lets try to be constructive here.

Is it possible for you to post a pic of the actual R&P that broke, or a broken one from the past? Seeing the type damage might help us give some ideas..

Since your not having any problems with the front, don't apparently rag on it too hard (even if you did 37's wouldnt justify breaking a pinion IMO) there is, I'd think, something definetly wrong..Possibly even with the install of the locker mabe? And I'm just throwing out some ideas.

I'd have your install guy completely strip the rear assy this time around and re-do everything, then have the case opened, drained, and inspected every 1K for mabe 5K miles to check for unusual wear.

I'm no axle expert, but fairly mechanically inclined, there HAS to be a solution to this. Any chance currie would pay for you to ship the axle back to them for some testing? In the mean time you could put something else in the rear end, like a take off 44 or whatever to get you by if you don't have a second vehicle.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.