JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running 37x12.5-17 Goodyear MT/R's at 28psi on a 2013 2-door with a 2.5" lift. The front drivers tire is showing wear. Every second lug on both the inside and outside of the tire. I can't feel any play in the front end. Any ideas?

·
Registered
822 Posts
I'm running 37x12.5-17 Goodyear MT/R's at 28psi on a 2013 2-door with a 2.5" lift. The front drivers tire is showing wear. Every second lug on both the inside and outside of the tire. I can't feel any play in the front end. Any ideas?
They are cupping. Rotate, cross the fronts to the rear, rear straight up. (At least I think that is how it goes.....)

Crossing the tires will prevent the cupping. Depending on how bad they are, it could be too late. Most likely is...............sorry.

·
Super Moderator
6,239 Posts
unless you've pinned the unicorn setup for a specific M/T with your shock and linkages ( it's possible ; just rare ) , you aren't gonna get much treadlife outta a set of them without the psi being optimal to w/in 2-3 psi ,shocks setup correct and tierod-end or toe and BJs setul perfectly when not rotating every 2500 ( oil change schedule). You've come clean about not rotating frequently enough so lesson learned .... hopefully there is some salvaging with them and maybe remounting and balancing them on a Hunter balancing system will help . Be careful on cupped tires driving highway , cool?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Rotate, Balance, Repeat

Rotate, rotate, rotate. My 35" MTRs also needed balancing after every 2 or 3 rotations. It kept me from buying another set.:frown2: Haven't had that problem with Duratracs or Nitto Trail Grapplers.

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
This chart may help. I have done this 5 tire rotation every 3000 - 3500 miles along with oil change. My first set cupped because of a bad shock and no matter where I put it, it was loud as hell. I'm on my 3rd set, my second lasted 51,000. I just put on a set of Nitto Grapplers G3's recently. This the most quietest tires I've ever had on my Rubi.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
I tried a set on my F350 and the wear kept me from going there again. They are good tires, but they HAVE to be balanced repeatedly, and rotated frequently. I'm busy and don't rotate as often as I should either. This was the old MT/R.

For a similar tire that wears better I've been using Cooper STT's. I have been getting about 40k miles out of them, DD, all year.

There are lots of good tires out there. No reason to stick with one that's a PITA.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Double Ditto on Rotation

I have the same tire as yours except 35's. I use the 5 tire rotation on chart G posted by RubiCajun. Run 28-29 psi and am anal about rotating every 3000 mi. At 15100 miles, I swear they look almost new.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts