JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen this done before, but with a wood frame.
I wanted to keep the weight to a minimum, so I used steel studs; much more fun to work with.
Most things I always carry will fit under the cover. Larger items will fit if placed in the original depression in the floor. This arrangement keeps things out of sight. Looking in through the window, the back appears empty.
I still have to bolt it down, (will use rivnuts in the tub floor), and install a lock.
I'll show the finished product first, then some construction pics.

Sliding the front seats all the way forward will allow the two headrests to go flat, too. Plenty of room to lay out a sleeping bag, or an inflatable mattress.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The dimensions of the frame allow it to sit flat on the floor, between the raised portion at the wheel well bases. This leaves some room along the sides for small items.

The two floor extensions, seen here folded back onto main box, are hinged to the top cover.

·
Registered
561 Posts
shit you should come to Colorado to wheel, and stop by and make me one for my jeep on the way home!

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
great job. very clean. might have to steal this from you

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thats pretty sweet
too bad the subwoofer kinda throws a monkey wrench into the simple design/construction
I had the sub-woofer. Got sick of it being in the way.
I took it out a couple weeks ago for this project. I have noticed no difference in the sound "quality".

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Great job! That's about the nicest one I've seen yet. I may use it. I wonder if there is something else to make the surface out of other than wood. I guess I'll go wander the isles at home depot. How much of a gap Is there between the seat and the piece you made when they are laid flat? Is that going to be a braking point you think?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great job! That's about the nicest one I've seen yet. I may use it. I wonder if there is something else to make the surface out of other than wood. I guess I'll go wander the isles at home depot. How much of a gap Is there between the seat and the piece you made when they are laid flat? Is that going to be a braking point you think?
I put some thought into what to use for the cover besides wood. I kept coming back to wood because of its strength. Any kind of metal would have to be too thick and heavy to support cargo or people.
If I had used metal, the required bracing underneath would have taken away from storage space.

Are you asking about the gap between the extensions and the folded seat backs?
The forward ends of the extensions lie flat on the seat back.
The aft ends of the extensions are supported by the hinges, and an extra steel 2 X 4 riveted to the frame. You can see it in the last photo, where the whole assembly is all folded up.
There is room to put stuff under the extensions, where the gap is between the folded seat, and the rear tub floor.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Nice! Just built a new subfloor for the trunk of my Elantra using a somewhat similar design.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I love it. Such a simple design but the best storage solution I have seen yet not to mention my dogs would love the fact that it gets rid of the ankle breaking hole between the cargo area and seats.

·
Registered
95 Posts
nice!!! great work

1 - 20 of 62 Posts