JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SOOOO long story short, I let an old friend drive the jeep, we got stuck, took overnight to get us out of some sticky icky mud, been driving a little batty for a few weeks but I couldn't seen anything wrong except the steering wheel being off center. So, today adjusting that, I noticed my trac bar trying to rip through it's bracket... Apparently I've been driving on this for a few weeks which I'm told is a major no-no. Anyway, any ideas on where to get a new bracket, how to fix this and what I'm looking at spending?? Help?!? I'll buy ya a beer if you can help me out. =) :beer::beer::beer: :innocent:

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c62/Jen_Haugen/?action=view&current=damnit.jpg

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Get rid of that piece of shit frame bracket.
Bolt the trackbar back to it's original frame location, and buy a RockKrawler weld on AXLE-SIDE bracket from their 5.5" system.
I would recommend adding an adjustable track bar to the mix.:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HAHAH, Thx 4Lo. This sounds like it's not as big of a problem as I thought it was... It's pretty sturdy, stuck like *insert witty inappropriate joke here* but I'm gonna need to drive it out to a friends to get a torque wrench to get that bolt off. Do you think it's safe to rock it 25 miles on the freeway or should I call in reinforcements to my pad??

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HA!! Roger that. I guess I can thank my lucky stars for rollin 3 weeks on it and 50 miles today before finding that snafu!! Reinforcements it is... Actually sounds like a perfect Friday morning project.. and by morning, I mean 11am ish, way after the coffee in the pot gets cold and can be replaced with beer.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Co4Lo is right. Get rid of the bracket and get an adjustable track bar. If you need help there are plenty of capable wrenchers in the area!

·
Registered
99 Posts
NO! Get an adjustable TRACK BAR.
Fishtale said we were capable but he didn't mention anything about competency :laughing:

·
Registered
424 Posts

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
... So does RockKrawler.:D
The problem with RK is that you have to use their trackbar, or at least their heim joint. The bracket is a non standard width.

If you do go the RK way the Bracket it the cheapest of the bunch and it's stout.

Since the bracket is ripped through you will want to patch it up, if you don't the brack will flex due to the elongated hole. I believe someone makes a reinforcement bracket?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Co4Lo is right. Get rid of the bracket and get an adjustable track bar. If you need help there are plenty of capable wrenchers in the area!

AAAAHHHh!!! Snohomish?!?! I think you're the closest jeeper I've found on here!! Tomorrow I plan on just taking that bracket off and remounting it all by myself, then driving carefully until I get to a torque wrench in marysville to sinch it all down! But I can tell you I NEED capable wrenchers in the area!! :bounce::bounce: YAAAAYYY!! :beer:

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
AAAAHHHh!!! Snohomish?!?! I think you're the closest jeeper I've found on here!! Tomorrow I plan on just taking that bracket off and remounting it all by myself, then driving carefully until I get to a torque wrench in marysville to sinch it all down! But I can tell you I NEED capable wrenchers in the area!! :bounce::bounce: YAAAAYYY!! :beer:
Why exactly do you feel that you need a torque wrench? It's a track bar, just torque it "Bubba Tight".

·
Registered
99 Posts
Fishtale does good work. He's helped me install my lift and other stuff but I'm telling ya I did the floor mats all by myself:grinpimp:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HAHA I think I'm nervous using my girly muscles sinching that thing down, paranoid it'll fall off when I'm driving, or death wobble me all the way home.... I've only done minor adjustments myself without "supervison" of a "professional" hahaaa. But ok, if I can just throw my body weight into it, I'll head up to Marysville just to drink beer =)

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
The problem with RK is that you have to use their trackbar, or at least their heim joint. The bracket is a non standard width.

If you do go the RK way the Bracket it the cheapest of the bunch and it's stout.

Since the bracket is ripped through you will want to patch it up, if you don't the brack will flex due to the elongated hole. I believe someone makes a reinforcement bracket?
RK actually offers several different joint/misalignment spacer options to get you whatever width and bore diameter you need. Easy stuff... you just gotta let them know what you need.;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
HAHA I think I'm nervous using my girly muscles sinching that thing down, paranoid it'll fall off when I'm driving, or death wobble me all the way home.... I've only done minor adjustments myself without "supervison" of a "professional" hahaaa. But ok, if I can just throw my body weight into it, I'll head up to Marysville just to drink beer =)
If you find yourself hungover on Saturday and the drag link I mean trackbar is still fubar'ed shoot me a PM and I'd be more than happy to throw my weight at it:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fishtale does good work. He's helped me install my lift and other stuff but I'm telling ya I did the floor mats all by myself:grinpimp:

HAHAHAHAA well then maybe I need your assistance too!! My floormats are hanging somewhere, on some trail, or at some campsite! I'm totally going to utilize services offered in exchange for brewskis.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts