JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HATE JK bumpers. Jeep should have stuck with TJ bumpers. I know it's a common swap for a lot of people but I'm too broke for that, I just HAD to drop the money on a Rubi (good move though God bless stock 44's and full lock up). So as soon as I get some time, I'm hacking the crap out of my front bumper till I get some cash for a wench and bumper. MAN I HATE THESE BUMPERS!
Cheers!

·
Registered
173 Posts
In two hours you can transform your factory front bumper into these (required a little bit of fab/welding with some 1/8 sheet stock). Throw out the plastic housing and play with it. Alec and I did.

Since then we've made winch bumpers so that one is sitting in my scrap pile.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is the plan right there! Perfect! My only real problem is lack of space to work, and cutting tools on hand. I have a buddy that has a nice place to work but it is full of his monster XJ right now. With some luck it is ready to wheel and out of the garage this week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That is the plan right there! Perfect! My only real problem is lack of space to work, and cutting tools on hand. I have a buddy that has a nice place to work but it is full of his monster XJ right now. With some luck it is ready to wheel and out of the garage this week.
In a matter of 10 minutes you can remove the plastic bumper cover. No need to do any cutting right away, butthere are two "soup cans" on the bumper frame you will want to grind off. That will do you until you are ready to hack it up more. I just left mine as is until I picked up a new front bumper.

Here's a pic of the stock frame, untouched, except for removal of the "soup cans".

Or you could buy (or make) one of these! :thefinger:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to work on my bumper today, but after the plastic is off I'm not sure what to do with what is left.

·
Registered
37 Posts
you think yours are ugly have a look at the plastic park bench they put on the Australian ones so they meet our design rules:shaking::shaking:

Attachments

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yikes. Are those mud flaps required equipment too?

·
Registered
900 Posts
you think yours are ugly have a look at the plastic park bench they put on the Australian ones so they meet our design rules:shaking::shaking:
Looks like with a little careful use of the old sawzall you could at least get rid of that filler piece between the actual bumper and the flenders. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
dont worry mine didnt stay like that for long but i am one of the few that has done anything

with the stock tyres still on

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
you think yours are ugly have a look at the plastic park bench they put on the Australian ones so they meet our design rules:shaking::shaking:[/QUOTE

First thing you need to do is put your steering wheel back in the correct location.:shaking:

·
Registered
37 Posts
you think yours are ugly have a look at the plastic park bench they put on the Australian ones so they meet our design rules:shaking::shaking:[/QUOTE

First thing you need to do is put your steering wheel back in the correct location.:shaking:
ours are on the right side:grinpimp:

·
Registered
900 Posts
ours are on the right side:grinpimp:
Yes, but just because they are on the "right" side doesn't mean they are on the "correct" side. We went to Bermuda once, and they also drive backwards. Unfortunately the only way to get around on that island is by scooter. I'm very lucky I survived it. :D

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I like th JK bumper...esthetically correct...material...incorrect...I would like them in steel.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Tiny, what you got behind your grill? Is that home made or did you buy it. The color reminds me of a heater filter! I like it!

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Factory Off Road Bumper

We just ordered ours with the factory off road bumper and winch. That way the winch is covered under the 7 year 100,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
158 Posts
yeah i think the mopar bumper is what im gonna do too if woods doesnt get his ass in gear!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hey Justajeep, I kind of like what you have done with the stock bumper. What do the ends look like I crushed the end of my factory last weekend and was looking at buying a custom bumper but wouldn’t mind running one like that until the funds come available.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts