JKOwners Forum banner
141 - 160 of 405 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks for keeping us posted. Stay safe and keep the videos coming!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I was thinking about this last night while I was mowing the lawn. Do you know the languages of these countries you are going to or do most speak English over there?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
I was thinking about this last night while I was mowing the lawn. Do you know the languages of these countries you are going to or do most speak English over there?
I'm learning French as fast as I can, it's the most widely spoken. A couple of countries on the West coast are Portuguese, none are Spanish.

I also learn a couple of words in the local African language (hi, thanks, yes) and it makes people extremely happy!

-Dan

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
Hi All,

I have driven into Gambia, country #4.
After hours of arguing, I ended up paying my first bribe, unfortunately.
Read the full story here:
Into Gambia | The Road Chose Me

-Dan

·
Premium Member
4,069 Posts
I'm learning French as fast as I can, it's the most widely spoken. A couple of countries on the West coast are Portuguese, none are Spanish.

I also learn a couple of words in the local African language (hi, thanks, yes) and it makes people extremely happy!

-Dan
Portuguese. That's what I was thinking of. It sounds a lot like Spanish. That was around Equatorial Guinea

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Portuguese. That's what I was thinking of. It sounds a lot like Spanish. That was around Equatorial Guinea
Poruguese is the official language of Guinea-Bissau and Angola.

It's similar enough to Spanish to get me into trouble - ie. some words are the same, but not quite enough for my Spanish to get my by.

I don't know about Equatorial Guinea, as a non-US citizen it's essentially impossible for me to get a visa to go there, and I doubt I'd want to anyway, given it's often ranked the most corrupt country in the world.

-Dan

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
So how has cell service been? Have you had it most of the time? Fuel? Easy to find?
I don't have a phone.

Every station I have been to has had Gas and Diesel no worries - except in Mauritania where I drove across without buying any :)

-Dan

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Hey all,

I've been hanging out around The Gambia River, and spotted my first Hippo!
And my first Chimpanzee!

...And my first Ebola warning sign... then I got horribly sick. Damn.

Read the whole story here: Georgetown and The River Gambia | The Road Chose Me

-Dan

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
Hey All,

Another day, another bribery attempt foiled!

Also, 9 hours to catch a single ferry - a new record for me!

Read the whole story: Around Banjul | The Road Chose Me

-Dan

·
Premium Member
4,069 Posts
Very cool to see all the old history and wildlife. A couple pictures on your site looked like there were dark clouds in the sky. Have you had any rain yet?

Keep the updates coming, you living my dream.

·
Retired Moderator
6,286 Posts
this, Dan.

All the planning and talking about this ,back when you joined the forum ; this is the pay off .
Look at that awesome Jeep you built and where it sits , optimally parked to optimize water availability under a bloody Baobab Tree in outer Gambia.
I would be immensely proud of accomplishing this & sure am glad to be able to thank-you (very much) for your excellent documentation of the buildup-to and ultimately, this fine trip /life experience which you're on at the moment.Keep having fun and I am just one of the many folks that are enjoying vicariously traveling around what is seemingly a beautiful continent and people, thanks to you.
Jeep On, dude.:jeep2:

141 - 160 of 405 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.