JKOwners Forum banner

101 - 120 of 406 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,262 Posts
you completed the build in great time .
Keep us up-to-date on your (safe!) travels. IMHO, you could not have chosen a better tire to trust for an epic trip such as you are planning on taking. I was,however, left wondering what "plastic caps on the OEM lugnuts" that you reference? I haven't had OEM lugs on my JKU in years but did I actually miss some part of them being made from a freaking plastic?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
you completed the build in great time .
Keep us up-to-date on your (safe!) travels. IMHO, you could not have chosen a better tire to trust for an epic trip such as you are planning on taking. I was,however, left wondering what "plastic caps on the OEM lugnuts" that you reference? I haven't had OEM lugs on my JKU in years but did I actually miss some part of them being made from a freaking plastic?
Thanks!

Yep, the OEM lugs have plastic caps over steel that get crushed/break/wear out over time. It got to the point I couldn't get the stock wrench onto about 5 of them.

This thread has pics of the "cap" off the lug: broken lug nuts?? - Jeep Wrangler Forum

I'm happy to be rid of them - they gave me trouble in Argentina on my last trip.

-Dan

·
Super Moderator
6,262 Posts
well I'll be darned. I had no idea that the factory lugs were capped with false chrome. I removed them within the 1st 3 months I had the Jeep new so never knew. I would have been extremely POed if I had experienced that on a 'Trail Rated' MallCrawler. They left no corner cost uncut, it seems......plastic capped lugs, indeed, Chrysler........

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Hi All,

Over the last couple of days I drove over to Nova Scotia, I'm organizing shipping to Europe now.

For 1000 miles I kept the cruise at 62 mph. Big rolling hills on the highway, some requiring 5th gear.
The Jeep is now at full expedition trim and weight with the top, tires, wheels, lift, full tank of drinking water and all my stuff inside.

Using GPS speed and distance I hand calculated 18.4mpg (US).

With the 13.8 gallon Titan Fuel Tank mounted to the tire carrier my total range is ~650 miles.

I'm very happy with that!

(Metric: The Jeep is getting 12.8L/100km, with the 52L Titan Fuel Tank on the tire carrier I have a total range of 1050km.)

-Dan

·
Premium Member
4,066 Posts
Hi All,

Over the last couple of days I drove over to Nova Scotia, I'm organizing shipping to Europe now.

For 1000 miles I kept the cruise at 62 mph. Big rolling hills on the highway, some requiring 5th gear.
The Jeep is now at full expedition trim and weight with the top, tires, wheels, lift, full tank of drinking water and all my stuff inside.

Using GPS speed and distance I hand calculated 18.4mpg (US).

With the 13.8 gallon Titan Fuel Tank mounted to the tire carrier my total range is ~650 miles.

I'm very happy with that!

(Metric: The Jeep is getting 12.8L/100km, with the 52L Titan Fuel Tank on the tire carrier I have a total range of 1050km.)

-Dan
Well good luck Dan.

Did you get it weighed in full expedition trim?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Well good luck Dan.

Did you get it weighed in full expedition trim?
Not yet, it's on my to-do list before it goes into a container.
I'll post up when I do.

-Dan

·
Registered
33 Posts
wow at the initial responses to your journey, what a great introduction to this site.

Anyhow, this expedition of yours is super inspiring. I always figured something like this would be possible to do but you are outlining everything and its very intriguing. As a photographer my main goal is to shoot for an expedition build, but my trips will not be 2 years long haha. At least not yet.

I applaud all you are doing to get this going and to keep on pushing it. You will def be getting a new follower on instagram from me, @ josephdalcour.

Cant wait to see your journey begin!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
wow at the initial responses to your journey, what a great introduction to this site.

Anyhow, this expedition of yours is super inspiring. I always figured something like this would be possible to do but you are outlining everything and its very intriguing. As a photographer my main goal is to shoot for an expedition build, but my trips will not be 2 years long haha. At least not yet.

I applaud all you are doing to get this going and to keep on pushing it. You will def be getting a new follower on instagram from me, @ josephdalcour.

Cant wait to see your journey begin!
Thanks for the kind words!
I like to show people what's possible if you're willing to put in the hard work to save money and plan. Years of saving means years of adventure :)
Checkout my Alaska->Argentina drive too - that is one very do-able. It still blows my mind any one in North America can drive down to Panama, right now in just a few weeks without any hassle. You don't even have to per-organize anything. Just a passport and go.

Adventure is out there, you just have to want it badly enough.

-Dan

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Finally got the completed Jeep on the scale today.

Final trim, with everything coming to Africa. 1/2 tank of gas, 1/2 tank of water and 180lbs of Dan in the driver's seat. (Titan fuel tank empty)

5980 lbs.

That's a few hundred heavier than I was aiming for, though it is what it is at this point.

Also I've been out camping around Cape Brenton Island, and it should be in a shipping container on Wednesday.

-Dan

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
The PR Team at Fiat Chrysler Automobiles filmed a short interview with me and my Jeep when I was at HQ near Detroit a few weeks back.

I'm pinching myself right now, and extremely excited to be working with them.

-Dan

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Awesome! so will you be giving them updates whenever you reach wifi?
Yep, the plan is to update them a few times throughout the trip.

I'll also be writing for JPFreek Adventure Magazine, updating my website theroadchoseme.com and filming a series on my You Tube channel.

-Dan

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yep, the plan is to update them a few times throughout the trip.

I'll also be writing for JPFreek Adventure Magazine, updating my website theroadchoseme.com and filming a series on my You Tube channel.

-Dan
sounds good! do you know what day exactly you will be out there?

The people over at JPFreek are good company. Im doing a short write up for them on night photography and some of my night shots of my jeep soon.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
sounds good! do you know what day exactly you will be out there?

The people over at JPFreek are good company. Im doing a short write up for them on night photography and some of my night shots of my jeep soon.
When will I be in Africa?
The Jeep will be loaded into a shipping container tomorrow, it arrives in Europe in the last week of May. I'll drive it down and should be in Morocco for June 1st.

Yep, JPFreek Adventure Magazine is awesome, I'm so happy to be working with them :)

-Dan

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
I've spent days editing together the first video for YouTube, all about my previous trip, upcoming trip and the Jeep build.

Here's a sneak peak:

-Dan

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
My adventures have caught the eye of Jeep, who just released my story as part of the #MyJeepStory campaign for their 75th anniversary.

I am extremely proud to know they are as excited as I am :)

·
Premium Member
4,066 Posts
Very cool video. You'll be arriving in Africa just in time for summer.

Hell, get Jeep to pay for your fuel. If they want to use you as a marketing tool, tools cost money.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
The Road Chose Me is now in video format!

I'll be filming the entire adventure, and this first video recaps my Alaska->Argentina adventure, and lays out the plan for Africa.

I hope you'll follow along!

I'd love to hear any and all feedback from you guys too - what do you want me to include, what do you want me to forget out?
What would you like to see in these videos?

Any and all feedback greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-Dan

101 - 120 of 406 Posts