JKOwners Forum banner

301 - 320 of 402 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
Hi Everyone,

After 3,088 miles - by far the most in any country so far - it's time to say goodbye to Angola.

I have deeply loved this country, and I'm certain I will be back some day. After 6 weeks I have only scratched the surface.

More: Angola Ends | The Road Chose Me

I'm looking forward to Namibia!

-Dan

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
Merry Christmas everyone!

I have driven into Namibia, country number 18 - without any signs or warning, I swapped to driving on the left for the first time on the expedition.

This should be interesting!

More: Into Namibia | The Road Chose Me

-Dan

·
Premium Member
4,087 Posts
Question for ya.

How fast did it transition from jungle to what the first pics of Namibia look like.

What's the elevation?

Namibia looks like it could be any one of a million places in the states. Even half naked chicks willing to be filmed for an apple.:D

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
Question for ya.

How fast did it transition from jungle to what the first pics of Namibia look like.

What's the elevation?

Namibia looks like it could be any one of a million places in the states. Even half naked chicks willing to be filmed for an apple.:D
It happened in a matter of hours in Angola. It was something I had thought about for hundreds of hours and it was still a shock when it finally did. What a relief to be out of the jungle and humidity!

-Dan

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
Hey Everyone,

I have been exploring the extremely remote Namib Desert in the North West of Namibia.
It is absolutely spectacular. I'm wild camping every night and loving it!

Tons more photos here: The Namib Desert, Namibia Pt. 1 | The Road Chose Me

-Dan

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
Have you ran into people living out there? Those pictures look like you could be the only human for miles.
Every 60-80 miles I come on a tiny, tiny settlement of a handful of people.
How they scratch a living is beyond me. There is essentially no water and nothing growing. It's incredible.

-Dan

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
Hi All,

It's been 18 months through 18 countries, and I'm not even half way around Afirca!
How long is this going to take?!?

To be honest, I don't have a firm answer. I'm terrible at predicting timelines.
I'd say it's somewhere between 8-18 months more up to Egypt, but that's just a guess.

Also, a new member has joined the team!

Read the whole explanation and rationale:
Timelines and Teammates | The Road Chose Me

-Dan

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
Hi All,

We have reached the Coast in Namibia, and I push the Jeep hard in the big dunes to get to the Sandwhich Harbor area of the Skeleton Coast!

More:Around Sandwich Harbor | The Road Chose Me

With the KO2s down to 10psi the Jeep did great on the dunes.
With all the weight there were plenty I couldn't get up without staying in tire tracks.

-Dan

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
Hi All,

We've been exploring down more dry riverbeds and bumping into all kinds of wildlife.

Also, this might just be the best wild camp of the entire expeidtion. Elevated above the riverbed waiting for animals to wander by!

And then back to the desert

Tons more pics: Riverbeds, Deserts and Wildlife | The Road Chose Me

-Dan

·
Premium Member
4,087 Posts
Pictures are simply amazing.

So, as far south as you are now, is it summer there. Or I guess, towards the end of summer. You didn't mention it being hot, and by the look of some of those pictures, it gets rather warm there.

Stay safe and don't worry about getting too close to the wild animals, they'll let you know where close enough is.:D

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #316
Hi All,

During all the dry riverbeds I found yet another wild camp that contents for best of the entire expedition.
Let me know what you think

More details on the riverbeds here: Riverbeds, Deserts and Wildlife | The Road Chose Me

After all that it was time for a change of pace so I visited a Cheetah Conservation place.
I will never, ever forget patting a cheetah while he purrs loudly:

Details here: Otjitotongwe Cheetah Guest Farm | The Road Chose Me

And then it was time for a visit to Etosha National Park. I have been told no visit to Namibia is complete without a stop.
I enjoyed it, though I think I prefer the completely wild animals. I have been spoiled already

Tons of photos here: Etosha National Park | The Road Chose Me

Namibia continues to impress. I love this place as much as I always thought I would!

-Dan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Inspiring...read through your separate blog posts from diesel disaster to today. Your patience at the border crossings is amazing. And if a pic is worth a thousand words....your's speak volumes.

Don't change a thing, other than more frequent updates! Continued luck to you.

...//TJ

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #320
Hi All,

I made a stop at the The Ju/’Hoansi Living San Museum where locals are the museum pieces, showing how their ancestors lived on the land for generations.
This fascinating man told me through a translator he actually hunted giraffe with his dad with this bow and arrow when he was a boy.

More: The Ju/?Hoansi Living San Museum | The Road Chose Me

After that I moved over to Khaudum National Park for some extreme elephant viewing.

How close did I get?
Close.

More: Khaudum National Park | The Road Chose Me

Everyone warned me about the deep sand in the North of the park and how they always get stuck.

It was extremely deep, though the Jeep didn't have a problem powering through.

-Dan

301 - 320 of 402 Posts