JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some Infinity Kappa 10.9t's to upgrade my factory tweeters. The guy at Chrutchfield said they'd fit. They don't. :bawling:

I'm looking for a tweeter that's the same diameter as factory & will fit into the factory tweeter housings. After searching online, I'm finding the diameter of thw tweeter itself has little to do with the diameter of the tweeter housing.

The factory tweeter housing is right at 1.5". The kappas are just under 2".

I see all sorts of dimensions online, but not the outer dimension of the bare tweeter.

What have you upgrade guys done with a stealth tweeter upgrade?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I used alpine spr 17 separates for the front. I took the new tweeters completely apart so that it was just the driver. They ended up being about 1 inch diameter and 1/2" deep.

I took the factory tweeters apart. I snapped just the grill of the factory tweeter back into the pod. Then I placed the new tweeter driver against the factory grill and stuffed foam behind it, between it and the pod to hold it into place.

My install is stealthy, only thing you can see is the new sub I installed.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I used alpine spr 17 separates for the front. I took the new tweeters completely apart so that it was just the driver. They ended up being about 1 inch diameter and 1/2" deep.

I took the factory tweeters apart. I snapped just the grill of the factory tweeter back into the pod. Then I placed the new tweeter driver against the factory grill and stuffed foam behind it, between it and the pod to hold it into place.

My install is stealthy, only thing you can see is the new sub I installed.
I did a similar, did the alpines but I had to trim out a bit to get them to fit... can't even tell they are different.. little more black in color.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the answers. I'm not looking to do separates - keeping it on the cheap for this build. Just want ~$100 tweeters that fit behind factory grilles.

l jeepo, that looks nice, but I'm after something that fits behind the factory grilles in the pods. (i.e. with no "polk" showing.

Does anyone know which aftermarket tweeters (only) fit behind the factory grilles in the pods?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I got a box of Onkyos, but I have no idea if they'll fit. They are about the same height as a golf ball at the widest part.

Specifications: *Power Handling: 20 watts RMS/40 watts max *VC dia: 3/8" *Znom: 6 ohms Re: 4.10 ohms *Frequency range: 6,000-20,000 Hz *Fs: 4,200 Hz *SPL: 87 dB 2.83V/1m *Driver Dimensions: Overall Diameter: 1-3/8", Cutout Diameter: 1-1/4", Mounting Depth: 5/8". * *
I can toss two in a padded envelope or small flat rate box for shipping + $1 if you wanna test them.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a generous offer! Do they have external crossovers (I'd need to find a place for) or internal?

It looks like they might fit. Where'd you get them?

Might be worth a cheap experiment...

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
That's a generous offer! Do they have external crossovers (I'd need to find a place for) or internal?

It looks like they might fit. Where'd you get them?

Might be worth a cheap experiment...
No crossovers. I posted above the full specs from the site I bought them. I got them in bulk on a buy-out for a project. Have some leftovers...

Just looked deeper for you, and they are the factory GM/Delco tweeters. Don't know if that'll help.

Edit: Just tore one apart, and they are a normal speaker.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. Sounds like they'd be about on par with the infinity's I have in there now. Save the smokin' deal for another JKO'er that doesn't have the infinity package. Thanks again for your generous offer. :beer:

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mine were C5's, 1 9/16 cut out vs 1 3/4 in the link you provided. I did have a little play, but just a little. Also I super glued them in, instead of using the mount. It was a cleaner install. hope that helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts