JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've become obsessed with getting every bit of power i can out of my baby.

My father runs a garage, i have discounts on parts, loads of equipment and tools to use, and car lifts.

I want to do as much fabrication as possible to reduce the cost. I just want to know, which would be better for an inline 6 4.0L AX-15 transmission Jeep Wrangler TJ.

p.s. Ballpark for me the barebones lowest cost of doing such a thing?

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Intercooled turbo with boost controller to bring boost on low - if you have no smog laws. Add some water/methanol injection to that plus tune with more timing. If you choose the right water/methanol injection kit and set it up right, you can bring on more timing at a lower RPM. timing is where you get HP in a tune, more so than AFR. You have to back off the stock timing with FI anyway. An intercooler gets you some of that back. WMI gets you more back. Get that tune for higher octane gas too, like 93 or 94 if it is readily available. Yeah, V8s are cool too.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Intercooled turbo with boost controller to bring boost on low - if you have no smog laws. Add some water/methanol injection to that plus tune with more timing. If you choose the right water/methanol injection kit and set it up right, you can bring on more timing at a lower RPM. timing is where you get HP in a tune, more so than AFR. You have to back off the stock timing with FI anyway. An intercooler gets you some of that back. WMI gets you more back. Get that tune for higher octane gas too, like 93 or 94 if it is readily available. Yeah, V8s are cool too.
For his '99 4.0 jk

·
Super Moderator
6,181 Posts

I have a low mileage '94 YJ 4.0l HO up with my folks house in N. Georgia which once they no longer use it for " getting off the mountain in bad weather " I have been savin for one of these. Banks Sidewinder...

So, minus the WMI, (only since I haven't researched the h2o-methanol cooling he is the expert subject matter guy on around here )I'd agree with @White13JKUR and turbocharge it...

The option of running it stroked can mitigate cost yet still provide a noticeable chunk of midrange torque and power from the strong blocked i6 if the turbo cost is prohibitive...Golen 4.2 and 4.6 strokers are known to be much punchier than the 4.0l itself ...

@coilrod. I caught the thread title SNAFU the OP made , heh ...it occurs about once a year around here that threads like this get posted; " my 1989 JK 4liter ,straight six blahblahblah..." :rolleyes:
:wink_animate:

:jeep2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts